Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After adding 17” amg rims the 560 rear leveled itself perfectly. The front however was high and looked like a tractor. I bought a decent spring compression kit and the total job took me about an hour to remove, cut and reinstall the springs. After reading so many posts there wasnt a definitve answer on how much spring to cut. Some said half, some 3/4. I wound up cutting 2/3 of one coil. And the car leveled out and was perfect. Now when you remove the coil the top of the spring is flat ground, you DO NOT cut that part. You are cutting the bottom of the spring. All in all, once you compress the spring you can cut it and dont have to decompress, i decompressed both times since this was my first time attempting this, but if i did it again i would of saves myself 30 minutes. The decompression kit i ordered from amazon for $70 was well
Worth it vs those cheap and dangerous spring clamp kits. Very safe and easy job. Below is height after adding new rims, and then final product after the cut. Hopefully this helps whoever is on the fence or thinking about doing this.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
You are right on no definitive answer on how much spring to cut. My advice for someone considering this would be to get the H&R lowering springs. They are the same height as the Eibach lowering springs that are difficult to find now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres no need to change all
Springs if you dont have to when method above is both easy and came out perfect. I didnt want to touch the rear springs since the height was perfect. My steering also tightened up. Win win

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Don't forget all my threads on lowering before you want this as a sticky

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
For the job to be considered correctly done and complete, an alignment should be done after lowering the car. During the alignment job, with the car on the alignment lift, the LCA adjustment cam bolts should be loosened so the bushings reset to the car's new height and then tightened to correct alignment values. The technician should be made aware that the reason of the alignment is that the car was lowered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
liviu165
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing