Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 420SEL 240,000 miles strong
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a job working for a brake calkiper rebuilder and it inspired me to do a complete brake overhaul. 4 new discs, 4 rebuilt calipers, new front wheel bearings and seals, new pads all around, and got to sandblast and paint my hubs, also flushed the master cylinder and cleaned the bottle. Was a blast and everything is perfect now. Pictures to come when I get home.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,467 Posts
Cool!! I need to do that too but I have no ambition. Pictures would be good!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought I had more pictures, but i don't. I rebuilt the calipers at my work and thankfully, at no cost. Master Cylinder was removed, reservoir was removed and cleaned with brake cleaner, and master cylinder was flush, then bench bleed to remove air. Front wheel bearings were replaced, and regreased, along with new rear seals.

A note on the seal, I originally purchased the seals at Autozone, Timken Part #1960. This is the incorrect part for are cars and will not fit. I purchased 2 Elring(sp?) seals and that did the trick.

Front Rotors were replaced. Brand was Centric and they were $60, commercial pricing because my work ordered them. Rear rotors I found in a junkyard. They are slotted and didn't have any rust on them, so I assumed they were new enough and would be just fine. Pads were ATE original pads, they were $60 and some change for all 4 wheels. The front hubs were sandblasted, along with any bolts that were used (calipers, hubs) and were wire wheeled to give them a nice shine.

Very happy with the results. I did the job because I knew the calipers were free, and due to a previous bad master cylinder, which was causing the brakes to not release. This caused the front rotors to be terribly warped and were trashed. All the shaking is gone and the car stops like a new car

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts