Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sweet. What's the story? Does it run? What is it? Where did you find it? What are your plans?
Looks like someone cut the top off a 406, or maybe a SEE 419. Disk brakes and you have a hood - nice. How's the rust level?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it runs and drives, it is a '64 406 Cabrio, I picked it up from San Angelo, Texas where it arrived from Abilene, Texas where a previous owner brought it to from Germany. My plans are to try to restore it as much as possible, use it as a tug at the airport to tow my brothers helicopters. I would also like to take it to Colorado to run trails. It has not been cut up and is very stock including the box on the back. The rust level is very low and manageable.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Your statement that it has not been cut up, including the box on the back, is confusing to me.

It looks like fun.

C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"It has not been cut up and is very stock including the box on the back." Was in response to the previous post from Andrew_G where he says, "Looks like someone cut the top off a 406, or maybe a SEE 419." letting him know that this is how this 406 came from the factory, all be it with doors and a rag top. My reference to the box on the back is stating that it is a box made by a manufacturer (not home built) for a Unimog. Please let me know if clears up the confusion, otherwise I would be happy to explain further. Kindest Regards, Brad

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
Looks like backhoe or similar seats, if it's a round windshield Cabrio (I think the last year was...65? Can't remember, picture of a '65 attached) it's missing the roll bar, I'd want to install that toot sweet.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like backhoe or similar seats, if it's a round windshield Cabrio (I think the last year was...65? Can't remember, picture of a '65 attached) it's missing the roll bar, I'd want to install that toot sweet.
You are spot on. The year is supposed to be 1964 and the seats are from Tractor Supply.... No roll bar but I am told the owner has a lead on where it's doors are. He is in Germany at the moment.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
The cab part I follow now, the bed part is still a mystery to me. That doesn’t look factory, or if it was built in a factory somewhere, it looks modified. That front door with the welded bathroom door hinges is more American ShadeTree than German UNIMOG bed.

It’s a sweet machine, regardless, I am sure. Are the seats tolerable? The factory ones are... not.

C.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cab part I follow now, the bed part is still a mystery to me. That doesn’t look factory, or if it was built in a factory somewhere, it looks modified. That front door with the welded bathroom door hinges is more American ShadeTree than German UNIMOG bed.

It’s a sweet machine, regardless, I am sure. Are the seats tolerable? The factory ones are... not.

C.
The bed was manufactured in England by Mackworth Bodyworks, the hinges are riveted on not welded, I checked on my Bathroom Door and the hinges are different (maybe your Bathroom Door has Unimog hinges on it??). The entire bed is made of aluminum and the doors on the box (both sides) use the same original "key" that removes the hood. The back of the bed has fold-down sides like traditional Unimog bed sides just shorter. I didn't see any signs of American Shade Tree, but I will look again this weekend and report back.

The seats are OK. They are spring seats and absorb some of the ride but the wings on the back are a little troublesome.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok, a cabrio, so you need those special side windows with the doors. They make a hardtop for it (Euler??). I think it's shown on the mustard yellow one above. Nice hitch there too - Ringfelder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts