Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went for a drive in Donkey last night. The gearbox was smooth and quiet for about 15 km, then 5th suddenly developed a noise. Now, reverse works but is also noisy. I dare not use 5th.

The alternator (less than 6 months old) starts charging only at engine redline, despite having a smaller pulley.

And the prop shaft is suddenly rubbing against the hand brake spring.

This weekend I'll be having a weekend. If nothing I do works, I might as well do nothing.

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
Just remember friend that it can always be worse.....a teenager or new driver could total your car past repair in a second.

Also the good thing about these cars is they are like a bicycle. People drive them even when they make noises like they will fail any minute, but dont ;)

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Take a deep breath. Work through each problem in a methodical manner and it'll come good (in the end).

·
Registered
1989 300E
702 Posts
PC, I too am at my wits end. Several issues have damn near convinced me that I might as well just get a different car with less problems. As a whole the problems seem too much for me to tackle or even want to deal with. However, individually I know they are minor, and reiterating what Army said, one thing at a time.

I've resorted to walking and bumming rides. Actually a good thing, in that I can spend what would otherwise be fuel money on repairs. In the end I will eventually be driving around with a big grin again.

- Best of luck

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
I too grew tired of spending on mine. So I insured only my motorcycle for the summer and let my insurance on my car expire to save money. Well 1 week later (as I was crossing a bridge) I was treated to the lovely sound of my bike shattering a piston... Moral here? It doesn't matter what you drive, you can't win......

·
Registered
1979 & 1985 300D's
2,537 Posts
Indeed. I've actually had more trouble in my life with my newer cars than my older cars. But either way, cars are machines and machines break no matter what.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
Definitely take a break for fixing stuff if you are able to.

I cannot emphasize with the " it could have been worse" comments.
Example; a Person with one Nail in His Foot is better off than a Person with 2 Nails in their Foot; but the Person with the one Nail still is in pain and wants that one Nail gone.

In short someone else’s pain does not ease your Pain.

Best Wishes to PlaneCrazy.

·
Registered
1977 300D 4sp basketcase
63 Posts
I feel you. My one has been broken down for about a month now. The local benz mech is coming today and hopefully i can get this running again to sell it. i am kicking myself for buying this :crybaby2:

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I never had a problem with my W123, but my W201 has been a roller coaster ride. It was ultimately worth it, despite it not yet having AC (leak) and heat blows through the side vents (probably a bad defrost actuator). But I finally solved the stalling issue, low compression issue and smog failure issue. Diagnosed all else and it's good. Now it pulls strong after a valve job, 185psi on all cylinders. My 300D can now park in the garage while I use the 190E daily.

Don't give up!

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know, I was afraid of tackling the conversion because conversions ALWAYS end in disaster, even if you keep all the bits in the family. Despite the odds (bent input shaft, cut and welded gearbox housing, saving money by not replacing o-rings, bearings etc.), everything went well for over a year.

This time around though, there was no conversion: Take the tranny out, replace all bearings, o-rings an broken bits. Simple.

And a bunch of unrelated and inexplicable, improbable stuff seems to have happened. That's what is getting to me.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. I suppose it was too much to ask advice from others who are not nearly as crazy as me to attempt such nonsense. What can I say, it's a life choice:D

·
190E, SLK350
67,194 Posts
You need to read my stalling thread in the W201. It's easy to find; just click on the sort by highest number of responses in that forum to find the thread.

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
it seems like that I've spent more time working on this 300D than I have on all other car projects totaled in the last 45 years or so of working on cars. One thing gets fixed and two more goes wrong. It is always more difficult than it should be. It is like it is designed to be hart to work on.

It is like an addiction. I work on the car when there are other things that should be done first. I keep hoping that it will get to a point where all will be good. It never will be.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
You know, I was afraid of tackling the conversion because conversions ALWAYS end in disaster, even if you keep all the bits in the family. Despite the odds (bent input shaft, cut and welded gearbox housing, saving money by not replacing o-rings, bearings etc.), everything went well for over a year.

This time around though, there was no conversion: Take the tranny out, replace all bearings, o-rings an broken bits. Simple.

And a bunch of unrelated and inexplicable, improbable stuff seems to have happened. That's what is getting to me.

Thanks for the encouragement, though. I suppose it was too much to ask advice from others who are not nearly as crazy as me to attempt such nonsense. What can I say, it's a life choice:D
Hey PC, at least you have your positive attitude back. A 5sp in a 300D would be awesome. You followed your ambition, excellent for you!

Dave

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You need to read my stalling thread in the W201. It's easy to find; just click on the sort by highest number of responses in that forum to find the thread.
So that's how to post 52k times on this forum?

Hey PC, at least you have your positive attitude back.
What's that? I'm an engineer, so I was born negative. I get paid to hope for the best but actually expect the worst.

Even my HIV/AIDS test came back negative...

Anywho, I'll be getting under my car again on Thursday. This is (unfortunately?) getting so easy: drop the exhaust, drop the prop shaft, place engine on tall jack stand, lower tranny bracket, loosen all but two diametrically spaced tranny mounting bolts, position fork lift, remove tranny...

I won't be stripping the entire tranny this time. 1st to 4th is perfect, so I'll just remove the rear end cap and intermediate station to expose 5th and reverse. Then I have to figure out how, why and when the hand brake system moved closer to the prop:confused:

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
I detect some of your musician humor, PC!:D

Good luck,:thumbsup:
Dave

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How does this happen!?!

I took the tranny apart last night, and couldn't believe my eyes...

On the main output shaft, 5th gear has splines - the same splines as the speedo drive and prop spider. But it is nonetheless press-fit onto the shaft as well. Yet, despite these two measures and the spider and speedo drive securing it with a nut whose lip is bent into a recess, it managed to move rearward!

The damage is light (I'll consult my purse to see if it agrees, though) as only the speedo drive gear got lightly damaged. I could probably still use it, but have come too far to take unnecessary risks, so I will order a new one. But I still have no idea how the gear moved, or how I'm going to prevent it from moving again...

·
Registered
1985 300D Gone 1985 230CE Perfect, 1984 300TD Driver, 1981 300TD Bad engine
1,418 Posts
The gear that moved is press-fit onto the spline?

Will you post photos?

The proper Loctite is the easiest option and may be enough. Cutting a snap-ring groove may be possible.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gear that moved is press-fit onto the spline?

Will you post photos?

The proper Loctite is the easiest option and may be enough. Cutting a snap-ring groove may be possible.
I will not remove the gear to show the splines and press-fit, but I will take two pics to show the splines and the press-fit shoulder before having the gear pressed back.

I've considered a groove, but might damage the splines or cause a stress concentration or something. This steel is incredibly hard, it will ruin most cutters, and an angle grinder isn't exactly the most accurate tool. Then there's the question of size: a snap ring that will fit will basically press against the splines, while one that will fit into a deeper groove will be impossible to install.

Ditto on Loctite 243

·
Registered
2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK250 Bluetec, 1981 Mercedes-Benz 300D W123
600 Posts
Exciter

If the alt is new and it came with a new voltage regulator and the battery is good and it is only charging at right revs you should look into changing the exciter wire. The exciter wire keep the alternator... Well excited at low RPMs and makes it charge.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I'll look into it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts