Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
13,046 Posts
Even before the "upgrade", I (personally) found the search system built in...lacking. The best advice I can give is to forgo the sites search engine, and use the most powerful one, Google

So, to get started, you simply put into Google the search term you are looking for, followed by "site:benzworld.org/forums/unimog" Don't forget a space between the search term, and "site:" lets say you are curious about "Amsoil" and it's use in Unimogs, put this into the search bar:

Amsoil site:https://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog

Amsoil.jpg

Replace "Amsoil" with whatever you want to search for, "Wiper Motor" for instance:

Wiper Motor site:https://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog
Wiper Motor.jpg
You can even narrow it down further with quotes, minus and plus signs, but for 95% of searches, using the term, followed by "site:https://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog" will get you the results you need.

You can even then use the Google Image search with those terms, which should limit the returned results to mostly Benzworld results.
imagesearch.jpg

Now before you say the sites search should work, yes, I agree, but many forum's search features are severly lacking, and using Googlefoo is just good practice for Benzworld as well as many other Unimog hunting activities :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
...So, to get started, you simply put into Google the search term you are looking for, followed by "site:benzworld.org/forums/unimog" Don't forget a space between the search term, and "site:" lets say you are curious about "Amsoil" and it's use in Unimogs, put this into the search bar:...
Yep, that is moderately advanced Google searching. Unfortunately, that will no longer work with new content (add may stop working with old content at some point), because the forum paths are no longer the same.

Under the old board, forums were under benzworld.org/forums/[FORUM] and threads/posts were under benzworld.org/forums/[FORUM]/[THREAD]. On the new board, forums are under .benzworld.org/forums/[FORUM].[PAGE] and threads are under benzworld.org/threads/[THREAD] (all threads/posts across every forum).

So new posts in the Unimog forum are no longer searchable by restricting the URL path. Searching forums by thread title will even be problematic because benzworld.org/forums/unimog.39 and benzworld.org/forums/unimog.38 are different paths and trying to Google partial paths (i.e. benzworld.org/forums/unimog) is inconsistent. There is currently a redirect on BW for client requested old format URLs to the new format, but the old URLs no longer exist and the redirects may someday go away, causing all the old learned thread search results to die.

Found yet another site bug... If you select a section of text in a post you get a popup with options to "Quote" or "Reply" to that section in a quick reply. The Reply option puts the selected text in a quote bubble in the quick reply box. The Quote option pops up a message saying the section has been added to "Multi Quotes" but puts nothing in the box... but eventually you find a "add quotes" button at the very bottom of the page which adds every quote, from different windows and different forums, you have ever selected, to the quick reply box. So much for obvious usability... Why not select text, add quote, it appears in appended to the active window quick reply box. No hidden data, multiple clicks, and searching for buttons existing somewhere else on the page?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
It appears the powers that be are listening somewhat and have changed search to allow only in-forum searches.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I had and exotic car experiance and bought some Liqui Moly Motor oil for no good reason.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just joined the "Mountain Bike Reviews" community... because it's apparently popular and has alot to do with MB and Unimogs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well looks like they added an advanced search option where you have the option to only search particular subcatagories e.g. Unimog.
Do a search then click on "advanced search" or follow the link below to go directly to the advanced search.
https://www.benzworld.org/search/

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
I came across an ad that directed me to 'Stop Searching for Answers !'.

So, I did.

Life is much simpler now.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
oh god no...... besides believe they are owned by the same company. and Pirate you can NOT post pictures without hosting them someplace else. total crock for archiving anything about fixing a mog.
ok found it... now where is delete a post?

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
Long ago there was a break between the two owners of this board... one did the programing design of the board and the other was the instigator of the whole thing and had his name on it and money...... believe both were mercedes enthusiast ...... and only started the board for that reason. Story was something like that anyway. All the hard work and labor, daily task, moderating, doing admin task etc. to get it off the ground and to get it popular though was the programmer....it grew.... got big. One did all the work... the other paid some bills.. again so the story goes..

A big business came along and offered the one with the name on it money and he sold it out from under the other. The one whom got shafted in all this started a new board. Pointed three.
. http://www.pointedthree.com

When I was the Originating Mod of this Unimog forum back then..... made choice... "and did not feel good about it".... but decided to stay with Benzworld under new owner (A Murdock publication I believe) cause this group was just growing and feared encouraging moving everyone to another board out of respect to the fellow that got shafted.... would in the long run not be the best interest for everyone. Be that good or bad....... that is why this forum was still here 13ish yrs later when I passed it to others.

that being said....... if ya'll want to move to any place else Id suggest a move to Pointed Three.

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/forumdisplay.asp?f=61

granted all that occurred long ago.... a lot of great admins in here have worked hard to keep this place good board since it was bought.... lot of respect for them. Got to respect their work too..... so ???? what do you do????

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yet more bugs... make a post with a picture externally hosted... no way to use or edit inserted code blocks manually unless you already know the tags. Go back an edit text in a post and your external link becomes a BW hosted image with no way to fix other than edit the post again and reinsert the proper code...

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Wow, the forum just refreshed to a scam AT&T page with a pop up window. Real classy.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts