Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'88 500SEC HV, '84 7MA61 Supra, '83 JZA61 Supra
369 Posts
It's obscene isn't it. I am thinking of selling the GTR for another supra, but since my benz is doing heaps of annoying and expensive things, I am tempted to spend the money on a nice one instead.

I'd love this, but for this money I could import a widebody from the UK...

Nevertheless, I have sent him an email hahah.

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
May be different now but Aussie had killer Import duty on imported used cars
The only way to do it cost effectively was to have a car in your name in the country you were importing it from for 2 years prior to importing
+ they have a weird compliancing system IIRC

·
Registered
'88 500SEC HV, '84 7MA61 Supra, '83 JZA61 Supra
369 Posts
cant you guys just import them from Japan to australia cheap and make a ton of money?
I'm hoping to do this in the same way we import cars... But as JoeSEC said... Will just see how it goes.

Most of the Jap cars are LHD though... shouldn't matter too much, but will sus it out

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
cant you guys just import them from Japan to australia cheap and make a ton of money?
if they are 1988 and earlier yes they can be imported fairly easily, from 1989 on it starts to get VERY difficult and expensive.

May be different now but Aussie had killer Import duty on imported used cars
The only way to do it cost effectively was to have a car in your name in the country you were importing it from for 2 years prior to importing
+ they have a weird compliancing system IIRC
it was ownership in the sending country for one year and the compliance was fairly straightforward, mostly child seat anchor points - AUS and NZ have the same rules about compliance.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
it was ownership in the sending country for one year and the compliance was fairly straightforward, mostly child seat anchor points - AUS and NZ have the same rules about compliance.
Its been over a decade since I was involved in the car sales / Jap import world lol
I know the gap has closed somewhat but the price difference for used cars over the ditch used to be massive
Especially the Jap stuff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts