This is what the fuel filter does on your w202

Changed the 50,000km+ (date stamp on filter 2004) fuel filter today

Crystal clear fuel coming out from the 50,000km+ fuel filter outlet

Black & dirty fuel & particles coming out the inlet

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
Just got back from the auto store with a new filter for mine. Curious to see if mine has that much black gunk in it.

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
I/really dislike changing fuel filters. No matter what I do, seems like I end up smelling like gas. Got everything off ok and then realized I didnt have the right size wrench to hold the filter while I tightened the outlet. I used a pair of channel locks instead. Big mistake. No leaks when I checked everything. Then I turned the key to get the fuel pump going. Had a nice spray mist of fuel right where I had the channel locks. I squeezed hard enough to put a tiny hole in it. Put the original back on and will have to get another one tomorrow. Had a good amount of black gunk come out on the inlet side.

·
Registered
96 C280 SPORT
107 Posts
What tools do i need to do this job? And how mich fuel should i leave in the car whole doing it so i dont cause too much loss? I have to change a hose too, not sure which one. But when i fill up my tank, it leaks

·
Registered
1995 C280
272 Posts
There are plenty of writeups already, but here's what you'll need.
10mm socket (with long extension) to remove the bottom cover plate.
17mm wrenches for the outlet side. I only had one and improvised (mistake).

-Jack up the rear of the car and remove the passenger side wheel.
-remove the plastic cover with the 3 10mm nuts
-remove the gas cap to relieve pressure
-I also removed the fuel pump relay (green relay in the trunk near the battery) and ran the car until it died
-Pinch off the in fuel line (I used needle nose vice grips with deep sockets on the ends to pinch it).
-remove the phillips screw between the pump and filter (or jsut loosen if you can. I had a bitch of a time getting it back in)
- Make sure you have something under the filter to catch the fuel that will come out
- Loosen the fuel in line to the filter (it's a banjo bolt, either 15mm or 17mm)
- Loosen the outlet (this is where you'll need 2 wrenches, 1 on the screw fitting on the filter and 1 on the line). I didn't get under the car far enough and put the channel locks on the filter itself
- slide the filter out
- replace with new one
- I had a hard time getting the phillips screw back in and ended up taking the rubber hangers off the get better access

- make sure you check for leaks prior to putting the cover back on.
- I found you can look through some holes on the plastic cover to more easily line up the retaining bolts. I had a hard time looking straight up while lying on my back trying to position them

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
What might the symptoms be of a dirty fuel filter? Could it be that a dirty filter is causing my C220 to have difficulty starting at times?

·
Registered
Mercedes C180 95'
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here is the Bentley official procedure for fuel filter replacement. Hope that helps !:thumbsup:

Make sure you wear some eye protection, since there will be some fuel spray when you remove the hoses. (And remove the fuel cap to relief the pressure in the tank. & disconnect the battery as well for safety)

Don't over tighten the hose clamps if you are not putting on a new hose. (gentleman up there already explains the outcome of overtighten)

Attachments

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
I replaced the fuel filter this afternoon. It was probably a 20 min job. Took longer for me bc I had to go to the parts store to get a new Bosch filter. The old, most likely original was a Mahle. I pinched both inlet and outlet hoses with a needle nose vise grip. My connections are a push-on type (not threaded).

The fuel that came out of the inlet side was dark.

I am hoping that this will improve if not resolve my starting issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts