Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to say about this car... :crybaby2:

I started her up today.. noticed diring idle she is misfiring and shaking as though she no longer has engine mounts..

When i press on the gaz, vibration goes away and engine smooths out..

So i told myself i'll pop the hood and see whats going on... this is where it gets interesting..

The forth cylinder.. in the back, when my hand got anywhere near it a [email protected]^ing lighting bolt came out and blew my hand away! I haven't felt any sensation in the tips of my finger for the last hour!!

What the hell would cause that?? Bad sprakplug? HT Lead?

..need to get this fixed ASAP! please help

·
Registered
'87--190E 2.3-16v(being rebuilt), '99--C230 Kompressor
3,488 Posts
ignition wire shorting out to the engine....tingles doesn't it? no worries shouldn't prove any lasting damage. but it will wake you up faster then a cup of black coffee

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright I believe I fixed the problem.. (And maybe discovered yet another scamming mechanic..)

I just went down to re-examine the engine, I turned it off 4 hours ago so i was pretty comfortable to boldly explore..

Turns out my 4th sparkplug was slightly pulled out.. i pressed down on it and heard a specific "Click" ...problem is completely gone now.

I don't know what to think..

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
if you have the cash, depending on age, i'd go ahead and get new plugs and wires just to be on the safe side..while a disconnected plug will cause the engine to sputter, it shouldn't have given you a shock unless the metal is exposed somewhere along the line...

·
Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
Old trick.
At night (or dark) take a water plant misting bottle and squirt down the ignition wires, and watch the light show.It will show you everywhere your ignition wires are arching...and it's fun to watch.
(or you can wet down your hand again and start grabbing at things, for a thrill)

It's a trick to locate those annoying wire arcs

aardvark

·
Registered
2002 ML320 Silver/Grey
307 Posts
Old trick.
At night (or dark) take a water plant misting bottle and squirt down the ignition wires, and watch the light show.It will show you everywhere your ignition wires are arching...and it's fun to watch.
(or you can wet down your hand again and start grabbing at things, for a thrill)

It's a trick to locate those annoying wire arcs

aardvark
What a thrill! ;)

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you all for you help,

That water mister idea is not a bad one...

I've already ordered new plugs and ht leads, i should have them installed within a week or two.

But hehe yeah that jolt was...interesting to say the least. After it happend i walked around smacking my hand at random objects to notice the absolute lack of feel and pain hehe.... i woke up this morning with bruised finger tips lol... At least i can feel pain again.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
water mist and arching power....i think i'll pass on that one...i've seen (not felt) power follow up a stream of urine from a electric fence...and that's only 20 volts...

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Turnpike.
Ha!. Had a beagle hunting dog do that.
No, the water bottle won't hurt you,,,seriously. It does help you find arc's and misfires.

aardvark

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
alright I believe I fixed the problem.. (And maybe discovered yet another scamming mechanic..)

I just went down to re-examine the engine, I turned it off 4 hours ago so i was pretty comfortable to boldly explore..

Turns out my 4th sparkplug was slightly pulled out.. i pressed down on it and heard a specific "Click" ...problem is completely gone now.

I don't know what to think..

i beleive i wrote this message prematurely... Problem is no where near gone.

Started the car afterwork today.. until it was PROPERLY warmed up, it was embarrassingly rough.

People at my work have started to call her the POS....:mad: i'm not very happy about that...

1 question.. what is included in a full engine tune up?

-Sparkplugs
-Sparplug wires
-Distributor cap

..is this is?

And is this an easy job for someone like myself? I've never actually worked on the engine.. only the interior.

At this point i have an intense hate and distrust against all local mechanics around here.. Car was running absolutely perfectly for 2 years up until 1 month ago. I brought her in to get an oil change... ever since then its problem after problem. So i'd really like to take care of this problem myself.

·
Registered
1984 190D 2.2
2,458 Posts
I believe that is pretty much it. Spark plugs are incredibly easy. Just unscrew the old ones and put in the new ones. Make sure you don't overitghten them though.

I understand your annoyance with mechanics. When I had to get mine inspected, they broke the fuse box cover, broke the trim under the headlight, and probably a few more things I forgot about. They wouldn't even pay for it either, because "they didn't do it".

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
1 question.. what is included in a full engine tune up?

-Sparkplugs
-Sparplug wires
-Distributor cap

..is this is?

And is this an easy job for someone like myself? I've never actually worked on the engine.. only the interior..
you forgot distributor rotor. i do the ignition coil too. and inspect belts and belt tensioner. the belt tensioner might be whats causing the engine to shake. i bought my buick off a buick mechanic who told me the only thing wrong with it was it needed a belt tensioner. 7k miles later i'm fine. past few thousands miles i've had bad engine vibrations and if i stomp on it at idle i can here the belt squeal.

but tuneups are easy. be sure to grease the ignition wires. they sell little packets on the checkout counters at autozone i usually buy 2-3.

·
Registered
12,141 Posts
Put the same wire on the same plug (it should be an obvious thing, but guess what).
Also the plugs that were in there that gave you years of good service, buy the same type.
(some have a specific non resistor choice).

With Benz's this old, it's good to get real familiar with them because many shops don't know squat about them, and Stealerships will rob you blind.

good luck
aardvark

·
Registered
1985 500SEC
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright! Rotor, distributor cap, sparkplugs and Wires all changed.

Went from Beru cables to Bosch cables, and
Bosch H8DCOs to H7DCO's (Apparently H7DCOs are the oem replacement..i heard numerous times though that it was H8's)

Take a look at the state of the old plugs..:eek:

For the first 2 minutes of initial startup the Idle was really all over the place but thankfully no shaking. I took the car out for a quick 5 minutes drive, on my return the idle had completely smoothed out (I guess the ECU had to re-calibrate itself or something? i had the negative on the battery disconnected for well over 2 hours.)

I hope this problem is well and truly solved... we'll find out the shortly when i start her up completely from cold.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts