Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010 E350 Coupe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while driving our less that a month owned 08 E350 I was making a left turn at about 15 mph and the right front and right rear wheels/tires hit the side of a number of raised permanent bowls used to separate lanes. :eek: Both right side tires blew out when the sides hit these bowls. Got to test out the 1-800 Roadside Assistance. Within 40 minutes the tow truck arrived and had the E350 loaded up and Melba and I were headed off the the M-B Dealership. Will know today how bad the damage is. :crybaby2: Two Continental Conti Pro Comtact tires for sure, the right rear wheel has a dent in the edge and possibly needs replacement. Hope the Dealership might have a take-off 10 spoke wheel vice buying a new one. They will also performe an alignment.

All due to my inability to recognize these raised bowls sooner and just simply turn left a little sooner. Expensive lesson. Will keep you posted.

Sure hated seeing the beautiful E350 on a flat bed tow vehicle.

This may be the excuse I need to buy four Motegi racing MR118 wheels

and BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires. The car is painted the Iridium Grey, kind of a gray/tan metallic paint and I feel these wheels will look better that the extreme contrast of the stock 10 spoke silver wheels against the paint.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,802 Posts
I am sorry you had this happen. It does not take much on these MB wheel and tire
setups to bend a wheel and rupture a tire.
The 2nd day I had mine home a 3 inch rock was kicked into roadway by a cement truck.
I tried to avoid it and failed. It broke the right front wheel and left a 2 inch hole in the
sidewall of the Conti tire.
I have run over stuff like that in my VW GTi and not had such a catastrophe. The W211
is full of posts about bent wheels.
When the dealer quotes you the price of a new wheel you may end up buying the Motegis. LOL
If the damage is minor the wheel can be repaired for a fraction of the new price.

·
Registered
2010 E350 Coupe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that didn't hurt too bad. One new Continental ContiProContact for the front and one for the rear, the wheel was ok...........just a little dent, and an alignment. Whew, it could've been worse had I been going faster.

Keep your eyes open and focused Mickey. :stupid::tool::teach:

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
What size were these bowls? Pretty scary to think a tire can blow when it hits something at low speed. Glad all you needed were the two tires. :)

·
Registered
2010 E350 Coupe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were appx. 10" in diameter and 10" high, painted white and look like straight sided bowls turned upside down and permanently installed in the road to separate two lanes. With the vertical angle of these bowls, the low profile of the tires and the wheel being at the edge of the tires led to the tire being pinched between the rims and the sides of these bowls. I'm gonna venture a guess that I'm not the first one to hit these things and damage a tire and/or wheel. The low profile design of the 245/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear tires was a contributing factor. You never get something for nothing, you want low profile wide tires? then be careful and don't hit the sides of these tires/wheels against something vertical. :crybaby2:

This happened on the Air Force Base here in Las Vegas. Received alot of assistance from the folks on the Base.

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
Well, you can always file a claim with the base; the worst that happens is they deny it. Ten inches high - what are they trying to prove? Might as well build a wall. I thought these were the little domed "bumps" you normally see as lane dividers. I can see how the damage occurred now. Thanks for the update. :)

·
Registered
2010 E350 Coupe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, you can always file a claim with the base; the worst that happens is they deny it. Ten inches high - what are they trying to prove? Might as well build a wall.
Nope, this falls under personal responsibility. I screwed up. My deal. They are visible and I should have missed them like everyone else does.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
This may be the excuse I need to buy four Motegi racing MR118 wheels

and BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 tires. The car is painted the Iridium Grey, kind of a gray/tan metallic paint and I feel these wheels will look better that the extreme contrast of the stock 10 spoke silver wheels against the paint.
+1 those rims r hot. when i picked up my boxster in the finance room of indianapolis porsche there were two different aftermarket 18's that were DESTROYED. I mean huge cracks around the rims.

·
Registered
Volvo S80, E550 4Matic
239 Posts
So sorry to hear about this. Are you driving low profile tires? I've heard of many tire failures with low profile tires that I decided newer to buy a car with low profile tires.

·
Registered
2010 E350 Coupe
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So sorry to hear about this. Are you driving low profile tires? I've heard of many tire failures with low profile tires that I decided newer to buy a car with low profile tires.
The low profile design of the 245/40-18 front and 265/35-18 rear tires was a contributing factor. You never get something for nothing, you want low profile wide tires? then be careful and don't hit the sides of these tires/wheels against something vertical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts