Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This is most likely a very stupid question. I was just wondering why some cars (especially luxury cars) have their Automatic Gear Selector in a "zig-zag" pattern . . .

Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Hey Everyone,

This is most likely a very stupid question. I was just wondering why some cars (especially luxury cars) have their Automatic Gear Selector in a "zig-zag" pattern . . .

Thanks!
Its so you can find your gear without looking. It also stops you from making silly gear changes by mistake.
You will quickly get used to the unique layout.

· Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the gear selector even have a button? How does it know that you want to change your ...

Does the gear selector even have a button? How does it know that you want to change your selection?

I have obviously never driven a car with a gear selector such as this before [:I]

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
Re: Does the gear selector even have a button? How does it know that you want to change your

Does the gear selector even have a button? How does it know that you want to change your selection?

I have obviously never driven a car with a gear selector such as this before [:I]
there is no button, its spring loaded to keep it to the left, so if you wanted to shift to a gear that is more to the right, you will have to physically move it there - this, like a lock button, stops you making silly gear changes as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.