Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing the oil on a friends 91 300D and when I pulled the filter out the round metal top part (about 3-4in in length) was sucked in to more of an octagon instead of a cylinder. Now this makes me a little nervous. We use Mobil 1 Synth and it had only been about 8k mi since last change. The owner claims it's a little sluggish, but at nearly 200k mi I'm sure it doesn't have the pep it had in it's youth. Also there is a slight tick in the front end at low idle that disappears when you rev the car. Any help would be great as I am totally vexed and would just like to know what this means for future referance. Thanks as always!
-Mattias-

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
If it is a Fram or a no name, those filters do not hold up well and have had pieces come off/apart.

The problem would have been less likely with a Mann or a Hecht oil filter. I have never known of a problem with these. Hecht is my favorite.

If your friends car seems sluggish, try running some diesel purge through it and change the two fuel filters, check air filter.

Then run Italian tuneups.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was a real deal MB filter from the dealer. I've never seen anything like this and I'm ...

It was a real deal MB filter from the dealer. I've never seen anything like this and I'm a bit worried. Preventative maintainence tend to be cheaper than an ignored rattle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.