Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the wife and I go to a drive in movie double feature last night. We leave early but the car still spent about 3.5 hours with the electrical system draining the battery for the radio and window use. We had a long drive home and the car started and ran fine. This afternoon, my wife comes back from the grocery store and comes in and says the MB is making a very rapid clicking sound (she took her Jaguar). So I go out front and sure as hell there is a loud rapid ticking coming from the drivers side near the fire wall under the hood. It's continuous and doesn't vary. Car won't respond to remote and I have to use manual key to open door and trunk. After a few minutes of exploration I decide the best option is to jump it as it seems the battery is probably low (not dead, because what would power the clicking then?). After some vehicle maneuvering (too many cars for the driveway) I use the Chevy Silverado to jump the trunk battery (I don't like going terminal to terminal but didn't see a negative jump terminal under the hood of the MB). Well, as soon as the circuit is complete (negative to negative) the panic horn starts going off and the clicking stops. I get into the car and turn the key. Initially, no resopnse, though the car does say "remove key" and the clock seems to zero out (uh oh I think). After giving it a few minutes to charge, I crank the MB and it fires right up (CD comes on, clock shows the right time, etc...) seemingly none the worse for wear. The voltmeter in the truck took a huge dive when the Benz was pulling juice for that turn over but then popped right back up. Drove the MB around for about 30 minutes after letting it idle 10 or 15. Seems like it's good to go, but only time will tell. My 2001 does not seem to have any kind of voltmeter (which annoys me immensely).

Anybody have this strange behavior, or the clicking, happen to them?

LR

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
You can see your battery voltage by pressing and holding the REST button until you see NR.00 on the climate display. Scroll down with the driver's side temperature button until you get to NR.24.

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
Magnified
How old is your battery? If it's the same age as the car, then now it is time for it to be replaced. Unless you want to have fun reviving the dead Benz again, ofcourse. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts