Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 SLK 230 Kompressor, 1993 500 SEC
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a cam sensor, but really don't want to spend £140 on it having already spent a fair bit on the car, and planning to spent on a Bosch MAF since it's got a clone.

Cam sensors being rather less complex things, are the "OEM" ones (whether they're OEM or not) acceptable? Seems I can find 'no brand given' for around £40, Vemo (OEM) for around £80, then MB for £140. It looks like Vemo might be the Bosch, but that may also be misleading marketing.

Mine fails when the car's warmed up, and is the original, so it seems reasonable to replace it, but I don't see any point in buying something that won't work.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320
68 Posts
At the very least, if you are going aftermarket try to find a brand that is at least heard of. A good length in warranty also helps I think.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
there are a fair few companies that produce parts for MB... in this application any is OK. the only place where it matters 100% is the MAF... i replaced mine ages ago but i got it from this site

Pelican Parts - Product Information: 004-153-00-28-M375

you can prob find it else where but this is the site where i get most of my MB stuff and good shipping to aus...

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've gone with what should be a Febi Bilstein unit - at £39, considerably cheaper. Hopefully it's what it should be, seals correctly, etc!

·
1998 SLK 230
2,650 Posts
should be fine... only other bit of advice is to use a drop of thread locker on the bolts when you put them in as that area is prone to vibration so it wont work its way loose over time...

obviously use removable threadlocker such as loctite 243 :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the listing said Febi, the box said Febi, I guess I got what it said...

And my old sensor? Made by Febi. Car goes like stink now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts