Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone: I have a 1994 W140 S500, but my third brake light bulb keeps burning out. Someone on the W140 board recommended that I replace the whole third brake light housing / assembly and that, while I was at that, I should look into getting a late model W202 C-Class third brake light housing / assembly, as they are LED and less prone to failure; does anyone know where I can source same for a good price? The color of my interior is gray. I called and asked my dealer's parts department, but they want a tremendous amount of money: $240 + tax! Otherwise, I e-mailed "Peach Parts" and they stated that such an order would be a special request order and that pricing would be comperable to the dealer. Much thanks for any / all help, JD.

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
im not sure... i have an erly pre-facelift w202 and i still use bulbs for my third brake light...

you might want to check your wiring first... that might be the cause of all those burnt brake light bulbs... just curious... how long does it take for a bulb to burn out?

·
Registered
C200 Elegance
32 Posts
I suggest frequently blowing globes are caused by:
1. "unbranded" cheap globes - try Hella or Osram.
2. Incorrect wattage - to high caused overheating
3. Voltage regulator causing high voltage > 14.5. This would also shorten the life of all globes.
4. Poor connection - clean contacts and ensure tight contact

My W202, now 10 years old, has never had the third brake light globe replaced.

Joe

·
Registered
95 C220
1,362 Posts
Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd say about 2 months...
that's a little too quick... ive had my car for 6 years and i have never replaced the third brake light switch...

try a different brand of bulbs... if it is still the same, i would inspect the wiring.. maybe its getting a bit more juice than it requires... or maybe yet there's a short somewhere...

good luck!

·
Registered
1998 C280 SPORT
137 Posts
try ebay for a full assembly.

·
Registered
W123 300CDT and W202 C280
2 Posts
Did you touch the bulb with your hands? That bulb in the third light is halogen, DO NOT touch it with your bare hands when installing, use gloves or hold it with a clean cloth. Any oils from your hand will cause it to blow prematurely. I'm on my second bulb, the first lasted about 5 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts