Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 SL500/Sold 2011 C300, 1999 E320, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this as in a local classified and will be looking at it tomorrow. I had a chance to call the owner and there are a few things that need sorting out like:

AC don't work
odometer stop working 3 months ago
instrument panel lights don't work

These are common things that can go wrong with these cars from what I understand going through this forum.

Now here is the link. It sounds too good to be true. What should I do? The engine rebuild is due to a broken chain??

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/62054217.html

·
Registered
2000 SL500/Sold 2011 C300, 1999 E320, 1994 E320 Cabriolet
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I would follow up on my posted thread. Saw the car this morning and it really looked like a 28-year-old car. The paint was very tired; some trim pieces need to be reattached, plus other issues like I indicated in my previous thread. No rips in the interior, dash had a very minor crack and it appears that the interior just needed a good scrubbing down to clean it up. Original radio works, all power windows operational, heater works well but the AC is dead. He had a recent receipt for about $2,400 work on the engine rebuild and it passed the very stringent California Smog test just last month. It rode very solid and true and the transmission shifted smooth and positive. Could not find any trace of wetness in the truck on floor and it does not have a sunroof to leak from. Seem like the mileage could be true at 50K but won't know until I run a carfax report on it.

I will probably pass on this because I really want a diesel but any of you that live in the San Francisco Bay area might want to give this one a look over. The car is just sitting in his garage so he may take less than $2000 for it.

·
Registered
1980 280e
670 Posts
It seems that the price has bottom out on these cars and are starting to rise, just can't find a nice one anymore for a reasonable price for this old of a car. Atleast it runs well.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
280E is sure has a strong engine and nice to cruise. Like ilikemercedes said, I say go for it if you really like it.[:)].

1 - 4 of 4 Posts