Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of selling my car. I'm not sure what it's worth. I looked on KBB and Nada and it ranges from $16k to $20k but come on realisickly in todays market what am I looking at?

1999 SL500
Black with tan leather (no heated seats)
33,000 miles
up to date on service
H&R lowering springs,bilstein struts/shocks,new bushings/strut mounts
Renntech catback exhaust
Chrome AMG wheels
KN air filter
Xenon HID conversion
Tinted windows and tail lights
Few chrome accessories
Non sport package (one thing I wish it did have)

I'm thinking $13,000???

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have been thinking of selling my car. I'm not sure what it's worth. I looked on KBB and Nada and it ranges from $16k to $20k but come on realisickly in todays market what am I looking at?

1999 SL500
33,000 miles
up to date on service
Renntech catback exhaust
Chrome AMG wheels
KN air filter
Xenon HID conversion
Few chrome accessories

I'm thinking $13,000???

IMO, you could get more than $13k with the low miles you have. Especially if you return it to as stock as possible.

Do you still have the original wheels? (limited market for 19" wheels)
Did you tint your tail light lenses or buy new ones, the original look best especially if selling.

Why are you selling it?

·
Registered
10,934 Posts
You just got the car not too long ago and then spent tons of money on it with mods, why are you selling it now ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
FYI the high-end car market is a bit weak right now due to the overall economy. I'm sure it won't last forever... but if you're counting on a quick sale to buy the 2004, you might have to adjust the price or be willing to wait a little. Stick it on Ebay, small investment to expose it to the world... and car shipping prices are dropping due to lack of business.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
At 13K it won't last a week on e-bay, I would price it at $17.5- $18K, and if it sells , Fine. If you Price it at 13K and it sells TOMORROW!!! You'll be PISSED!!!!!!!!!!! You can always come down, You can NEVER go UP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
$13k is too low.

I figure you can get $20k with those miles, at least if you remove the blacked-out tail lights and corners. People hate those. You shouldn't plan on it selling quickly in this market, though...regardless of price.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Using AutoTrader.com - Buy Used Cars, New Cars, Sell a Car, Find Car Dealers as a relative barometer of locally (Florida) available '99 SL500's, within a 300 mile radius of Sarasota there are 25 cars for sale there, several in black, most with mileage higher than yours. You can do your own search using Jacksonville as a 'hub' to show similar data specific to your local market. The summary stats are...

Range of prices within this search:

Highest Price: $24,995

Lowest Price: $15,650

Average Price: $19,796

I've noticed over time that final selling prices are usually 5-10% less than listed. Listings are from both dealers and private owners.

BTW, when I sold my 560SL, I had it listed on AutoTrader with adequate inquiries/offers, but I eventually sold it by posting a photo/ad on the bulletin board at my Indy's, and another customer of his bought the car for my asking price based on my tech's recommendation.

Bob

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

1999 SL500
33,000 miles
up to date on service
Renntech catback exhaust
Chrome AMG wheels
KN air filter
Xenon HID conversion
Few chrome accessories

I'm thinking $13,000???
this is from kbb, assuming excellent condition and is above your figures.

1999 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class - Suggested Retail Value - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

my ride with 94k shows above $18k at kbb.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my next project will have to be adding the amg bumpers and side skirts. The car looks so "wimpy" without them. Any idea where I can get a good deal on them? I also like the wald kit but that's expensive!

·
Registered
36 Posts
selling your 500

1999 SL500
33,000 miles
up to date on service
Renntech catback exhaust
Chrome AMG wheels
KN air filter
Xenon HID conversion
Few chrome accessories

I'm thinking $13,000???
dI'm currently looking for a 98-2001 with low miles my preference is for a 6oo but I'd be interested in a 500 at the right price. Call me if you're serious about it docpaul62

·
Registered
36 Posts
thinking of buying

JM, you asked for phone number I sent it but am hard to get hold of, And I don't know if you got my reply. You can get to me direct at [email protected], send me your phone and we can talk. Docpaul

·
Registered
75 Posts
Last year I bought a '99, mint cond. with new hood pad, tires etc. It has 22K on it and I bought it for $22,000 from a dealer I figure I could buy it now for about $17-18 but remember it's mint cond and only 22K miles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts