Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
'92 400E, '00 E430 Sport
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I usually spend my time in the w124 forum as I have a 400E but I've always really liked the presence and over built quality of the 140's and have finally started to look around for a good one to purchase. Before I get myself into it too far though, I'd like some comments about the S600.

Really what I'm looking for is a few ideas of how much average and routine maintenance is going to cost, what kind of major (or at least more prevalent) problems the 600's have, what kind of drivability I can get out of it in different climates (ie traction, overheating?), fuel mileage and just general comments concerning the car. I know plenty about the 140 as a whole but would like some more info on specifically the v12's.

I've bought my last 3 cars online and if all goes right, it might just happen again... This time with a S600. The particular one I'm looking at is a wonderful example and the link is here http://www.buynetcar.com/gallery.asp?Carid=135

Thanks in advance,

Jon-Michael

· Registered
85 Posts
be carefull

Make sure you get all the service records, if it hasn't been maintained in accordance with the service log you can figure on a minimum of $5K to bring it back to spec. I budget $100 per month for maintinence. if the A/C hasn't been replaced figure $3-5K....and it will need replacing. I would not buy the car no matter how nice it looks without records, plus run a carfax on it. Just for example the dealer want $1,200.00 per shock ( you can buy them online for $500-600 each ) this is not a car for the faint of pocket book. But it is one hell of a ride....

· Registered
93 600SEL 91 420SEL
94 Posts
Proper preventative maintenance and RECORDS. If you have these and the car reflects it, g...

Proper preventative maintenance and RECORDS. If you have these and the car reflects it, go for it. I agree with another responder in that this is not a car for the faint of pocketbook, but it is one hell of a ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.