Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my old Mercedes, so familiar and iconic, and running well with no issues (both of them) but the new E class in the dealer showroom appear sleek, modern, look comfortable and luscious inside, and loaded with safety features - and they look tempting.

I tried to get a new E class to rent on the Autobahn driving trip I took last month but had to get an Audi A6 turbo diesel instead. I had paid for the biggest E class they had which was a E220 diesel. (not availble in USA).

Driving on the Autobahn was fun!!! I ran 130-160 mph every day, safely and legally and in serene comfort.. This was supposed to be my test drive for the new e class.

I went to the local dealer and looked at the E350 diesel and was put off that where the spare tire would go, they had a second fuel tank for some"blue" additive instead - so scratch the diesel.

~~~~

I have had my eye on a couple of CPO E 350 m.y. 2011, but the price seems pretty ambitious at $46k, they have one with 15k on it and another with 23k on it for the same price..

Their carfax's check out; each are lease returns, and just serviced; on at my local MB dealer, and one picked evidently picked up from an MB auction, sold new and turned in to, at a Los Angeles dealer...

Any car costs roughly 10% more for tax license, and doc fee after the purchase price is paid.

A brand new one I think costs $10k more but if I go brand new, I can do Euro delivery and buy a 5 day Alpine rallye package tour through Germany and Switzerland...which sounds nice...

I would like to go in and test drive one of them today.

I have always liked the V8s so the E550 appeals; but don't like the idea of the air suspension having issues post-warranty.

The new E 350 gasser seems adequate with 0-60 mph at about 6.5, about the same as my old 560SEC and the '95 E420.

Do these new ones even have dipsticks for the engine oil (The w202 ones did not!)

The build quality from roughly 2000-2009 had slipped measurably, but I have read it is improving.

I like my two old ones, ('91 w126 and '95 w124) for their simplicity, ease of repair, and classic looks and super build quality (they still run great @ over 150k)

(here is my w124 '95 E420)

(last year)

but the new E class ones look like they are far more comfortable, and have many more good safety features, and I've seen all over the Autobahn, last month along with Audis and BMWs for fast running, and mostly diesels because the price of fuel is @ about $8.00 per gallon...

Any comments on where I am coming from?

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
"A brand new one I think costs $10k more but if I go brand new, I can do Euro delivery and buy a 5 day Alpine rallye package tour through Germany and Switzerland...which sounds nice..."

Only if there's no snow on the ground otherwise you'll be SOL.

I have a V8... go for the V8.

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
Don't mess with perfection. You'd be signing up to pay someone $ for what you yourself call "pile em high sell them at cut rate prices."

If you HAD to have a new car, look at the 2005-6 e55's, save the 15-20 grand. Resale value is there, NOT the e350's.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Nav sucks, Bluetooth not that great... 55 motor pretty awesome but not if run hard/put away wet. Out of warranty, or nearly, too.

If you HAD to have a new car, look at the 2005-6 e55's, save the 15-20 grand. Resale value is there, NOT the e350's.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Cascade

I'm not enamored with the new Mercs..other then the AMG variants..

For the price I would go for an 08-09 E63...more fun, and better residual value.

Either way CPO is the way to go, even if it is a bit more then non CPO.

Two weeks ago I brought my CLK63BS in for a "B" service and to repair a minor leak in the sub pan..ended up with new tires as the Pirelli P-Zero Corsas had no tread on the rear after only 7500 miles !!!

Dealer gave me a 2011 E350 4matic as a courtesy car..fully loaded with the pano roof, back up camera, and some stuff I didn't know what it was...

Had it for a week and couldn't get used to the column mount shifter "push in-up-down" motion.

Steering had less then zero feedback, car drove you, not you drove the car.
Brakes average, handling not so crisp...

Generic design, comfortable yes, but true lack of any driving experience....

Too much of an "old people" feel for me..!!!!

Ed A.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
"For the price I would go for an 08-09 E63...more fun, and better residual value."

09 has updated Nav/Phone... if you go for older bodystyle the 09 is the one to get for this reason.

As for the new models... sales are up... wildly so people love them!

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
"For the price I would go for an 08-09 E63...more fun, and better residual value."

09 has updated Nav/Phone... if you go for older bodystyle the 09 is the one to get for this reason.

As for the new models... sales are up... wildly so people love them!
Nav/phone are something that is meaningless for me...
Yet to haved failed to get where I'm going in close to fifty years of driving...
More of a distraction then an enhancement...

People may love them, but the typical current Merc buyer is far from an enthusiast....more the cache of the Three Pointed Star....

If I wanted a through the product line "drivers" car, I'd go with BMW..
Too many compromises in the new Mercs that lose the "Teutonic" feel of old...

The CPO'd AMG variants regardless of model year are the best investments...3-4 years old seem to fall in the "sweet spot" for value...

Last 2 CPO's I purchased ( 05 G55K and 08 CLK63BS ) are worth a few years out what I paid for them...

·
R.I.P. Never Forgotten
1983-2007 MB's
8,023 Posts
cascade, didn't you have the use of a GLK350 loaner earlier this year. I recall you were pretty much uninspired. To the point of saying essentially nothing.

The E350 is the same thing inside, only lower.

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
As someone who sells Mercedes-Benz for a living I can tell you we get many more "enthusiasts" than we used to (mainly from BMW) and every new month is virtually a record in terms of cars sold/leased.

We are also drawing in record numbers of new buyers from sources besides BMW, which is good.

This is great for the brand.

The average age of buyers is also dropping which is good longterm.

All positive changes.

Some of the more "traditional" buyers are displeased but MB does not want to become like Buick.

For the people who prefer the older styling of Mercedes, there's always used cars so everybody is happy.

Nav/phone are something that is meaningless for me...
Yet to haved failed to get where I'm going in close to fifty years of driving...
More of a distraction then an enhancement...

People may love them, but the typical current Merc buyer is far from an enthusiast....more the cache of the Three Pointed Star....

If I wanted a through the product line "drivers" car, I'd go with BMW..
Too many compromises in the new Mercs that lose the "Teutonic" feel of old...

The CPO'd AMG variants regardless of model year are the best investments...3-4 years old seem to fall in the "sweet spot" for value...

Last 2 CPO's I purchased ( 05 G55K and 08 CLK63BS ) are worth a few years out what I paid for them...

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,384 Posts
Oh Jim,

You must really hate your old Mercs. Less than 90 days ago, you were seriously thinking about getting rid of the E420 and trade it for a lowly underpowered BMW 525 E39 with a slushbox.

Glad we were able to talk you out of that mistake of gargantuan proportions.

As far as MB build quality goes, avoid any and all MBs made between 2000-2005. They're utter garbage, I know I had 3 myself a '02 C230 w/ 6 speed manual (M104 derived M111 supercharged engine needed headgasket job @ 15K miles, a '02 W215 CL500 (a lethargic shiite car) and a '03 CLK320 (biggest piece of garbage ever made, needing a $12K transmission replacement with less than 500 miles remaining on the factory warranty due to a internal radiator/transmission cooler failure.

MBs have been getting better as of late (06 and up). I think the best value in the E class territory if you want V8 power is the W211 E63 wagon . . . but they're kinda hard to find. Can't really tell you all the good things in this message until you drive one, plus everyday useability that the wagon offers. Think of it as a BMW M5 killer in a wagon version, since the M5 wagon never made it to the USA.

However, on the current E class my bet would be on the E350 BLUETEC diesel. Fantastic machinery, V8 torque with 4 cylinder fuel economy. The reservoir you noted in the spare tire well is for the ADBLUE additive which cuts down on emissions. The car needs this additive, as otherwise it will cut back on power severely until it is refilled.

As you probably observed during your trip in Germany, you can buy ADBLUE from any gas station such as ARAL by the liter. The US hasn't quite caught up yet, but the additive is available from the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts