Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to get a new E class to rent on the Autobahn driving trip I took last month but had to get an Audi A6 turbo diesel instead. I had paid for the biggest E class they had which was a E220 diesel. (not availble in USA).

Driving on the Autobahn was fun!!! I ran 130-160 mph every day, safely and legally and in serene comfort.. This was supposed to be my test drive for the new e class.

I went to the local dealer and looked at the E350 diesel and was put off that where the spare tire would go, they had a second fuel tank for some"blue" additive instead - so scratch the diesel.

~~~~

I have had my eye on a couple of CPO E 350 m.y. 2011, but the price seems pretty ambitious at $46k, they have one with 15k on it and another with 23k on it for the same price..

Their carfax's check out; each are lease returns, and just serviced; on at my local MB dealer, and one picked evidently picked up from an MB auction, sold new and turned in to, at a Los Angeles dealer...

Any car costs roughly 10% more for tax license, and doc fee after the purchase price is paid.

A brand new one I think costs $10k more but if I go brand new, I can do Euro delivery and buy a 5 day Alpine rallye package tour through Germany and Switzerland...which sounds nice...

I would like to go in and test drive one of them today.

I have always liked the V8s so the E550 appeals; but don't like the idea of the air suspension having issues post-warranty.

The new E 350 gasser seems adequate with 0-60 mph at about 6.5, about the same as my old 560SEC and the '95 E420.

Do these new ones even have dipsticks for the engine oil (The w202 ones did not!)

The build quality from roughly 2000-2009 had slipped measurably, but I have read it is improving.

I like my two old ones, ('91 w126 and '95 w124) for their simplicity, ease of repair, and classic looks and super build quality (they still run great @ over 150k) but the new E class ones look like they are far more comfortable, and have many more good safety features, and I've seen all over the Autobahn, last month along with Audis and BMWs for fast running, and mostly diesels because the price of fuel is @ about $8.00 per gallon...

Any comments on where I am coming from?

·
Registered
2012 ,W212 Mercedes-Benz E Klasse
642 Posts
You are on the right path , I believe W212's quality should be better than W124s .
I am not a coupe guy but as far as I know, A/C 207 550 cars are not available in 4 MATIC.I like coupes too , however W212 is the best looking car around for me . These coupes are built on W204 chassis too . W212's interior nicer designed than other MB cars including A/C 207s
W212 E350 Diesel is a beast , it can put out 620Nm/Torque as well .

I think I would pick up 550 Coupe because of V8 , but V6s surely give you better fuel consumption

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Bluetec Diese is fantastic. I know this first hand. The AdBlue tank in the trunk contaiins an ammonia based solution that cleans the exhaust. Do yourself a fovor and at least drive the Bluetec.

·
Registered
2008 C350 Blk with Gray (sold), 2011 E550 Cab, 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
230 Posts
I love my V8 as well. The mileage is pretty decent too IMO for a fairly large motor and heavy car. As far a build quality, it has been flawless thus far. Only 23000 miles on her but everything in and out has been excellent!!

And I do have a dipstick with a spare tire as well if that matters to you. Good luck!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought it!

Arctic white 2011 CPO E350 Sport, single owner that leased it, when new, from Beverly Hills (per Carfax) with 21k on the clock. Fully serviced by the selling Nor Cal dealer, but I already, here in Los Angeles, did another synthetic Mobil-1 oil change a couple of days ago..

Have already done over 3k on the clock since delivery date of 8/25/12.

AMG 18"

In the interior,

the "Sport" theme continues inside,

The only issue so far, is that the gas gauge is not totallly accurate, it only ever reads to 3/4 full even when the tank is totally full. (This is irritating). Anyone else had this problem?

Likely covered under warranty though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts