Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to purchasing my 2001 E320 4matic and them my 2005 S430 4matic I poked around on this forum and asked questions and absorbed the information posted. Ultimately I realized that the late E320 model years were problematic (I bought a 2001 with 14K miles) as were the early S430 models (I bought a 2005 with 15K miles). As I consider moving up to a low miles S550 4matic I've looked thru the forum to see if there were any major problems and if there was a model year that was problematic. I haven't seen anything major but since I don't log on every day I thought I'd ask for insight and perspective as I start my search.

Your time and input is appreciated

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Prior to purchasing my 2001 E320 4matic and them my 2005 S430 4matic I poked around on this forum and asked questions and absorbed the information posted. Ultimately I realized that the late E320 model years were problematic (I bought a 2001 with 14K miles) as were the early S430 models (I bought a 2005 with 15K miles). As I consider moving up to a low miles S550 4matic I've looked thru the forum to see if there were any major problems and if there was a model year that was problematic. I haven't seen anything major but since I don't log on every day I thought I'd ask for insight and perspective as I start my search.

Your time and input is appreciated
There are a few issues with the early ones.

Check this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w221-s-class/1553540-2007-s550-engine-problems.html

That is probably the worst issue of them all. There is also a problem with early 07 550 gas tanks, were a filter got clogged and the pump would click off way to early and slow does the filling. Check this thread:

Gasoline fill verrry slow - MBWorld.org Forums

otherwise, there really is not much more. I did see something in that first link I posted about transmission problems, but I haven't heard much on that.

I just went from an 03 S430 to an 07 550 and it really is a step up, its amazing. The only problem is I have the gas tank issue described along with an on and off check engine light which I am worried is the dreaded timing chain issue I post above. I sure hope not. I got the car for $34k, so if I have to spend 5k to fix the problem then so be it cause the car was cheaper then usual. Good luck, and if you have the means I would recommend buying one through MB Certified Pre-Owned as you will have a warranty extended to cover all these issues.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts