Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering buying a 2002 G500 and putting new springs shocks bumbers etc. I'm just worried about the reliability factor with all the gizmos and the petrol engine. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,978 Posts
jlpowell - 4/1/2005 3:19 PM

Im considering buying a 2002 G500 and putting new springs shocks bumbers etc. I'm just worried about the reliability factor with all the gizmos and the petrol engine. Thanks for any input.
The engine is pretty bullet proof. Some early 2002's have had their electronics issues. Go back and read ealier posts. This is been discussed quite a bit here.

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
611 Posts
I have an early 2002 G500, and I've never had any serious problems with mine. One or two minor electrical issues, but nothing that kept me off the road. And I've thrown some stupid abuse at this thing. I wouldn't even consider anything else.

·
Registered
2004 G55 AMG
65 Posts
From what I've gathered on here, it depends on whether or not your dealer has any experience with g-wagens. There have been some horror stories, but a lot of those were with 2002 models when the guys at Graz were just getting used to packing these trucks with the electronics MBUSA specified.

As for my personal experience, all I've had to do is WD-40 the door locks (they stick - engineering "whoops", IMO) and have the driver's side seat electronics replaced when they developed gremlins the other day. Also have this weird rattling noise from the passenger seat that drives me batty when I'm driving solo. But other than that, I love my G!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts