Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 W166 ML350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking to get the new ML, the only thing ve been trying to find some information on the Mls new 2wd platform. I dont really want a awd as it isnt that practical for me, we get maybe 1-2 weeks of snow max and I always had rear wheel drive cars. The main thing I cant figure out is is there LSD on the 2wd Mls or are they a one wheeler?
And also is rear camera standard?
Thanks for your input guys!

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
When you spend that much money, why skimp with 2wd? :confused:

All models have ETC which virtually supercedes an LSD.

·
Registered
2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
875 Posts
I agree that one should question every option. If you don't question then you will never know if you preferred the alternative.

As for me, I have a 2WD (well, 1 wheel as its FWD) Prius so the W164's duty is to be what that car is not. I often drive dirt roads and grass fields hauling dirtbikes and got in a bit of trouble with my former 1WD Sonoma. Got former 4WD F-250 stuck 3 times in 4 years (each time with a 6000 pound trailer attached). So for me AWD was sort of important for this vehicle.

Its a matter of what does AWD add in cost, maintenance, and MPG. Then you can balance that against its worth to you.

·
Registered
2013 W166 ML350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not about the extra 2.5K for 4matic(although I am kinda cheap) Its just that I can see much better options that I can stack up with the money(Ex. designo interior is about 4k, and I get to look at every day not just 1-2 weeks). Also I dont want to load up with tons of technology that i am never gonna use and is going to break later. I learned this with my current car( fully loaded 07 LS460L).
Another thing I always put rims on all my cars and run the stock as a winter set up, so the ML will definitely be getting some staggered AMG 21s at some point, which i think doesnt work well with 4matic?
And the above maintenance and MPGs are definitely a factor, i take a lot of long trips
Also whats ETC- I am guessing electronic traction control?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Also whats ETC- I am guessing electronic traction control?
If a wheel spins ETC can apply the brake on just that wheel to stop the spinning which also transfers torque to a wheel which might make better use of it. When a wheel spins the other wheel gets no more torque than the spinning wheel is able to take.

There is a problem with traditional LSD in full time AWD because each wheel turns at significantly different rates in tight turns such as turning into your driveway or a parking space. It was a touch embarrassing on my F-250 to pull on to paved roads in 4WD as wheels would hop and chirp due to being locked by LSD. Off-road the tires simply slide.

·
Registered
2019 X350d, 2017 GLE500e, 2012 ML350BT (sold), 2013 A200 Exclusive(sold), 2009 ML350CDI(sold)
250 Posts
The ML is only available here as AWD. The Toyota Kluger and the local Ford Territory are the only cars available local as 2WD and AWD. They sell a majority new as AWD, because second hand yards refuse to accept 2WD as they dont sell. So you will make the price back on resale.

The difference in fuel economy is negligible.

Staggered AMG 21's are fitted standard to the ML63 so will certainlywork on any model, provided the tyres are properly selcted.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Stas - you're free to do whatever you choose to do.

Assuming you are in the US - just a couple of things.

If you want your own "special" ML - and by special I mean unuusal option combo like 2wd+Designo - if you need your odd ML before end-of-March you better get your oder in right away.

On 4matic - I don't think you have had proper expereince with the driving experience of a all-time-4wd luxury Mercedes SUV. That's understandable since the Japanese and other manuf market their dinky part-time-4wd systems as something special close to AT4wd and there is no comparision. Let me put in to you this way - in a 4matic Mercedes SUV (and 4matic is a driving feature also found on select Mercedes luxury and performance sedans) - 4matic pulls independently from both front wheels and pushes independently from both rear wheels - meaning your SUV is fully planted on the road at all times and under all road and weather conditions.

The 4matic SUV driving experience is 24/7/365. If you're not that into the driving experience of luxury SUV and sedans - and beleive me that Lexus box is far from a luxury driving expereince more like driving a big hollow shoe box - then you won't get what I am saying.

Good luck !

·
W166, W251 Moderator
1987 560SL - Signal Red, 2014 ML350 - Diamond White, 2019 Ford Explorer - Magnetic (company car)
1,251 Posts
I have had both FWD, RWD and AWD, and I'll never go back from AWD, the driving experience in just heavy rain feel so much secure.
The best description would be it is like driving on rails, it just goes the way you point the steering wheel.
*small note, for fun car RWD all the time, but for family hauler AWD

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
It's a shame other manufacturers market their part-time-maybe-very-little-actual-full-time-AWD as "4 wheel drive" - just because they say its so doesn't mean it really is...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I can't agree with you more. So many systems out there only lock in after you have spun a wheel, so they provide "catch-up" drive. I consider this could actually cause a skid on the ice. In such cases I would prefer 2wd.

Of course I would much prefer the true constant system used by Mercedes. :eclipsee_steering:

·
Registered
2013 W166 ML350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your help guys, i think i ll just go with 4matic at least for resale value. On the side note I am negotiating with the dealer for the ML and kinda feel like I am beeing ripped off a bit,
I mean they are offering me 10% off MSRP of the ML but are also giving me 30k for my car when the trade in KBB and NADA are both about 37k for OK condition( mine is well better than ok condition btw) Am I getting ripped off here?

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only way to tell is to sell your car yourself.

As for 10% off MSRP my research suggests "invoice" is 6 or 7 points off sticker and "holdback" is 4 or 3 points making the true dealer cost at 90% of sticker. This doesn't consider any additional incentives. So it would seem the dealer is putting their margin in your trade and might not accept cash no trade at the price you and they have discussed.

Another thing to consider is that the CPO process is not free and they expect to run your trade through the CPO system so that they can sell. And then they'll probably expect more than KBB or others list the car.

Usually dealers offer unrealistically high trade-in to protect themselves from the customer who at the last minute declines trade and wants to buy outright at the falsely discounted new vehicle price.

One reason I don't have a 2012 is y dealer wanted full MSRP AND offered $5k less than his own Carfax said my trade was worth.

·
Registered
2013 W166 ML350
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, well i met up with the dealer and they gave me their last offer 32k for my car plus 10% of MSRP. This sounds like a pretty good deal to me, i think I ll be placing an order! After doing some research i found out about the conquest cash program for which my trade-in qualifies, just one thing I am kinda confused about is what month conquest cash applies?
If I put an order through this month I should get the ML November, so if there is 13 ML conquest cash available for lets say November and my car is delivered in November, would I be getting the conquest rebate? From my understanding conquest has nothing to do with the dealership, its from the factory; so I should be able to use it separate from any discount I got from dealer right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts