Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My wife wants a steam cleaner mop for our tile floors.so I started looking into it and and said to myself steam? that would be great for degrease my car engines! ha ha! so I found this Wagner one that does it all . has a hand held wand.perfect! I can start on the top of the motor and work my way down.steam is better than power washing won't ruin all the electronics,delivers 200 degree steam.merry Xmas momma! plus I work at Lowe's and 1st 2 weeks of Dec. employee's get 20% off anything in the store! and its special order so I get it at cost! this would be perfect for cleaning all the interior surfaces on the white car ,previous owner was a slob sugar deposits every where! hard to clean this would be perfect! had a colony of ants living in this car!!:thumbsup:
Wagner 905 Steamer Review | FULL Review W/HUGE Discount

·
Registered
16,751 Posts
Don't use a steam cleaner/hot washer on any car engine. It'll prematurely stress all your coolant hoses and electrical system.

Instead use a slight degreaser (Simple Green is fine for most dirt or a standard engine degreaser for oil leaks) and use a cold water pressure washer using a fine mist.

Set pressure to lowest setting and hose it down. Don't soak it, just mist it.

Always do this with a stone cold engine, never hot.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
These steamers do a very good job, I got mine (the McCulloch version) this summer for $70 on sale on Amazon and it hasn't failed me yet, it cleans engine compartment exceedingly well (of course avoid the electronics and rubber parts) and it's especially good at removing stubborn grease that builds up around the engine. I used it with SuperClean degreaser for the engine and on the interior Griot's carpet cleaner and Megiars MPC.

It came with a bunch of cheap/useless attachments but you don't really need them anyway, and to be honest my car probably wasn't quite dirty enough to really justify needing a steamer but it would do wonders on an abused or neglected car, or if you're just bored with the tools you have and would like to try something new. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
'Frequency of use' if the pejorative phrase with pressure washers & steam cleaners. I've advocated for yrs renting a real steam cleaner (like a Jenny) and doing the whole car (not the interior!). But at best, I do it every two yrs. If you need to use it more often, then you should consider fixing all your oil leaks.:rolleyes:

In another life, when I had a big Midwestern farm and a good, commercial pressure washer for all my equipment....I used to pressure wash the engine of a Peugeot wagon quite regularly. One day I noticed water in the engine oil....I freaked thinking it was a blown head gasket...then it dawned on me that I was forcing water into my engine with the damn thing.

You're a lot less likely however, to put water into delicate electronic and engine components with a real steam cleaner. But this should be a 'every two yr' event at most with the steam washer. You'd be amazed at how your wheel wells clean up with a steam cleaner....makes the car look new at first glance,:D

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
Not really...it's open ended. YMMV, although most of the people adamantly opposed to steam cleaning have not done it correctly or too ofter.:D

For $60 every two yrs, I will continue to use it.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'd love it if I could go to a commercial steam pressure washer and degrease all of my vehicles from underneath! Sorry for the hijack.

·
Premium Member
10,115 Posts
I'd love it if I could go to a commercial steam pressure washer and degrease all of my vehicles from underneath! Sorry for the hijack.
I rent mine from the local rental yard-check to see if yours has one. Or if you have tons of spare cash, buy a Jenny.:thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
732 Posts
I rent mine from the local rental yard-check to see if yours has one. Or if you have tons of spare cash, buy a Jenny.:thumbsup:

Kevin
Yeah, I'll look into it. Now, if I could only lift the car 5' into the air......:crybaby2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts