Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a used E320 for sale with 28K (as depicted by Benz Dealer and Carfax). I have not seen this car yet in person as it is 1.5 hours from my home. Bottom line, lets just say that the car is what it is and its in good shape, is the dealer asking too much? They have it posted for sale at $13,000. Additionally, can you try to negotiate with a dealer? I have never purchased a car through a dealer so I dont have any experience in this department. In Edmunds, I think this car is valued at 9K.

Also, what should I expect to pay over an above the price of the car, for general maintenance, etc. for a car with this many miles?

Finally, I have never owned an MB and unless its in this price point I most likely never will as they are way too expensive for my financial situation at this point. However, I have been jonesing for one for a long time and this one came across my lap....Thanks in advance for any replies.
-R

·
Registered
2001 Benz E320 w210 79k miles . Picked up 6/16/08
165 Posts
Find out the invoice price. Offer them 500$ above that , if they dont do it walk. You can get the prices for a fee from consumer reports. 13k is way too much!

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
where is your location? i bet that was a trade in and the dealer didn't give the previous owner more than $5-6k but they will never sell it for $500 more if they are trying to make a profit. if it's in immaculate condition, always garaged and serviced with records than i would say $9-10k is a good price if they come down that much. plus mb dealers usually give you some type of warranty when you buy from them.
sure you can find other ones for half the price, but you will be here asking questions and complaining for a good part of your time.

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Actually $13,000 is about right for a car like this. If you don't want your head every day in the engine bay, I will negotiate it down to $12,000 / $11.500 and buy. They normally give you 3 month warranty, and the car should be accident free according to the car fax and perfect condition as new. Thats what I always do, I always buy a car extremely low mileage even pay high price too but ..... I am technically, driving a brand new MB :) for couple of grand higher, I would buy.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,723 Posts
Some people will pay high premium for car with low mileage, while 100,000 miles on those cars is about 30% of the engine life.
I rather buy a maintained car with 200,000 miles, than neglected one with 60,000.
The 28k is very low, but it still is 12 years old car and no collectible by any means.
Lot of things need to be replaced because of age, The dealer better have the records.
and at least 2 keys. ..

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
The only thing that's negative is it hasn't been driven enough. Per above, it is still 12 years old so most of the rubber is suspect. Pay ~$200 for a pre-purchase inspection at the very least.

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
if the car was garaged and limited to extreme temperatures than rubber parts should be in pretty good shape. but i would still ask dealer to replace coolant/atf/differential/brake fluid, filters, new battery and new tires for that price.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Use edmunds.com appraise your car for the benchmark, then make your own decision on price after a PPI.

Sure, for a ultra low mileage car you can expect to pay a premium - but your the one who should make a decision on what that price should be, not the dealer, and frankly for the dealer Friday is month-end and time is on your side.

This is a cash sale - and sure the dealer will have had "interested" parties - but not-so-many show up with cash in the pocket good-to-go.

Keep the beat !

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,334 Posts
I've always professed to shop for the car first and then negoiate price last. PPI is a must. How about service records? As many have noted this is a 12 year old car, and many service items are based on time as well as mileage. I would put a 100,000 service into play. If the car has not had it, it should be done anyway, regardless of mileage. Cost that out with the dealer and use that as a bargaining chip.
Low mileage, properly maintained, and garaged (including the 100,000mile service) and everything in perfect working order and the car is probably worth the price.
Finally, the potential deal breaker.....RUST! If this is a sunshine state car it's less of an issue, otherwise....The value of the car could plummet if it's starting to rust. Inspect all the suspect areas with a fine tooth comb and magnifying glass.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
100,000 mile service is an excellent idea. That should include all the fluids, filters, and spark plugs. Service history would be nice and don't neglect the PPI!

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
These are the best cars to buy -- normally garaged and cared for -- often with perfect interiors. Less stone chips on the paint and windscreen. Always do an inspection and try to get as much information as possible.

The extra few thousand will be quickly forgotten.

It is rather hard to hurt a car with 28k on it.

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
13G is way too much for that car b/c of production year. Why the car has only 28K on meter, that,s not your problem. Offer him 8 grands, including the fact the car is in almost brand new condition. Engine components are OK with such mileage , but anyway everything else is old 11 years. Take in consideration that after driving the car for 4 years that car will be 15-16 years old, and maximum you'll be able to get it is around 3 grands, no matter what mileage will be on the car. So, if you're ready for such lost, get it for 11-12 grands, otherwise walk away.

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
I always start at at least 20% off the asking price.

Get a 30 to 90 day warranty so you can have an indie check it out and get those items fixed as needed at an MB dealer if they are some other dealer.

If its a MB dealer get 2 remote keys, valet key, master slim key, manuals, floor mats, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts