Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 SEL
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some feedback, I have an older merc, a 1990 420sel which I love. I also have a 200 Range Rover 4.6hse. I am thinking of buying an 06 ML63, for a start I love the looks,very masculine looking and those tires, nice and wide and lets not forget the 500+hp engine. The thing just looks mean. I want to know about reliability, running costs, real world fuel consumption, I know what happens when you drag race big motors, I am wanting to know about normal running around including some 600 mile trips. I do all of my own maintenance, how difficult/easy are these to work on? I would probably be looking at one with around 60k to 70k miles, how long will these motors run without majot overhaul?

Thanks in advance, Rod..

·
Registered
'11 ML350
131 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get some feedback, I have an older merc, a 1990 420sel which I love. I also have a 200 Range Rover 4.6hse. I am thinking of buying an 06 ML63, for a start I love the looks,very masculine looking and those tires, nice and wide and lets not forget the 500+hp engine. The thing just looks mean. I want to know about reliability, running costs, real world fuel consumption, I know what happens when you drag race big motors, I am wanting to know about normal running around including some 600 mile trips. I do all of my own maintenance, how difficult/easy are these to work on? I would probably be looking at one with around 60k to 70k miles, how long will these motors run without major overhaul?

Thanks in advance, Rod..
I just researching in the AMG section of this forum. I don't believe there is an ML63 specific section, but you get good info on the engine, reliability, etc.

One thing for sure, I would NEVER get an AMG powered/equipped vehicle without factory/CPO warranty coverage. When something does go, it can be mega-bucks - even if you're qualified to do installation yourself.

·
Premium Member
'11 ML63, '12 GL350-CDI, '13 S350-CDI, '16 B250e
118 Posts
As an owner of an '09, I can tell you 13 MPG highway, worse in town. As long as it's not your primary car, what fun for a few $$$ of fuel.

In contrast, my '08 ML-CDI gets 30 mpg highway, and about 22 around town.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got one last week. 2007 ML63 w/ 60k miles. Gas mileage-wise. I get 12mpg max in town - 10mpg if I'm not careful, and 18mpg on long interstate trips.

I did get a CPO car. There's definitely a lot of bleeding edge technology in the car, so I am glad I have a warranty on it. There are plenty of different things that could add up to some hefty repair bills - air pumps,complicated transmission,automatic liftgate etc etc etc....

I'd say go for it though. It's a really amazing car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts