Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of buying a 2005 CLK500, or possibly a 2006 CLK350, both coupes, I think the convertible might be a little to girly in my opinion. Are they reliable (number one priority), safe, secure, and comfortable? I looked on edmunds and a ton of other sites, it said the CLK500 was more reliable, and better than the CLK320. Another thing is, I looked on edmunds for the Service A and B cost, it said A is 78.57, B is 104.35, idk if thats true, but please tell me how much it really is, or if that is true, cause I'm hearing mixed thoughts. I found one with 41k miles, for around 20k, that a good price for a 2005 MB CLK500? I'm planning to buy a car in a couple months, if I'm lucky a few. How much did you guys buy yours? New and used (with how many miles) Are heated seats standard? and does the CLK come with that adaptive cruise control? (idk, I'd find that real cool if it does) Which one is best the CLK500 or the CLK350?

Thanks guys, any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From what I understand that 1st year, 2005 (i believe) 7 speed tranny is unreliable, the kinks were not worked out untill the next year.

The 320 is plain slow. I hear good things about the 350. I have a 500 and it's alot of fun. 0-60 is good... 60-100 is amazing.

I bought my 04 CLK 500 w/ clean carfax, and service recos w/ 52k. $18,900, out the door $20,300. (Oct 08)

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
For a Fist Full of Dollars more...

Get the 06 CLK 350.... because it has the newer fuel efficient 6 cylinder engine with 268 HP so will be cheaper on the gas compare to the old V8.

Also the 7 speed tranny bugs are ironed out; 06 may still be under factory warranty... and it's plenty fast at 0-60mph in 6.8 Sec. I think the old V8 has 302 HP, and maybe 0.2 sec faster 0-60 mph on a good day.

BUT most importantly, the overall MBZ quality finally back... and did I say it's very quiet... like a luxury car should be?

Therefore, for a few Bucks more....

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks guys, and should I buy an extended warranty? (probably one of those aftermarket ones)
Extended warranty is always worth it if you plan on keeping the car pass the warranty period. I'd first check with your local MB dealership if they approve those aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Get the 06 CLK 350.... because it has the newer fuel efficient 6 cylinder engine with 268 HP so will be cheaper on the gas compare to the old V8.

Also the 7 speed tranny bugs are ironed out; 06 may still be under factory warranty... and it's plenty fast at 0-60mph in 6.8 Sec. I think the old V8 has 302 HP, and maybe 0.2 sec faster 0-60 mph on a good day.

BUT most importantly, the overall MBZ quality finally back... and did I say it's very quiet... like a luxury car should be?

Therefore, for a few Bucks more....
Blah Blah Blah. Fuel economy is not so much diffrent. I had a ML350 (w164) which I was rear ended in. It had fantastic accel (compared to my w163) it had great gas milage too. That was I kept thinking untill I got into a ML500 (even though im talking about ML's theese are the same engines). Horsepower is half the game its the top end grunt. what most of us want is torque! Torque is the stuff that throws you in that back of youre seat and gives you a smile. With a torquey engine you rev less at higher speed's so fuel economy isnt bad. In my ML350 I averaged around 23-25mpg highway depending on speed. In my ML500 I average 21-23 depnding on speed. The CLK500 is a bit stiffer so its more of a GT car than a luxo coupe which means you can take on 85% of whats on the road and do it in comfort and style while the other guy with his 350z will have to do it with a back breaking ride and a interior that kills you a little bit.
The CLK 350 0-60 6.8 acording to you
The CLK 500 not 550 acording to motor trend 5.4

basicly a second and half diffrence

(sorry if made you angry its just thats what the numbers are and how I feal about it)

(my english is not the best I was not born here)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi,

Your English is quite good and I am not angry as I made an error in the V8 specs... Sorry, I didn't now the V8 was that much improved .. so I should say that it used to have 302 HP!

Wow! The V8 - 350 HP for such a small car is like a Pocket Rocketship! The best match is the new 3.5 Liter engine at 268 HP, which is plenty fast for our roads here in Kalifornia, IMO. I drive another car if I want to go fast...

Hey! I see you also have a Mini... I need one of those... which year model is the best for around town?

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

Your English is quite good and I am not angry as I made an error in the V8 specs... Sorry, I didn't now the V8 was that much improved .. so I should say that it used to have 302 HP!

Wow! The V8 - 350 HP for such a small car is like a Pocket Rocketship! The best match is the new 3.5 Liter engine at 268 HP, which is plenty fast for our roads here in Kalifornia, IMO. I drive another car if I want to go fast...

Hey! I see you also have a Mini... I need one of those... which year model is the best for around town?

Happy New Year!
I had the one with the supercharged motor, power is decent engine note is fantastic. Supercharged motor only available as a 6spd (its a pain in the ass in chicago traffic where I live) The suspension is very very stiff. So the ride sucked you felt every pebble you drove over. But the handeling was fantastic. The cooper's in the new body are available with a turbo instead of the supercharger. They are offered in automatics as well. The ride is alot better too.

here is a few pics of the cooper

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Thanks for the pixs... that's a very Classic Mini! ... looks Kool!...

Actually, it would be for my daughter who need a car this coming Summer for a job up near the University of Oregon (Eugene, Or). She likes the new VW Beetle Automatic but I'm thinking the Mini is a much better car...

We just came back from a 4 hour trip (2 hours each way) and the smooth, quiet ride of the Mercedes is the way I like it... but I don't think the bumpier/ noisy ride would bother my daughter much,,, so the Mini's the car for her!

What do you think? How is the maintenance and reliability of the Mini compared to the Beetle? Is there a pre-owned Mini model year with automatic to avoid?

(Sorry to Hijack the Thread!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thats funny, both of my parents are Ducks. Your daughter would probably fit in better over there if she rode a bike- I hear they don't take kindly to gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Wait another month... it's a Buyer's market!!!

Hi Nocam,

Yes, the Ducks are everywhere!!! I liked it once when during a football game last Summer the Duck's mascot beat up the other team's mascot... it made national television! Hahaha!

Yes, my daughter does ride a bike everywhere in Eugene, but she's planning to get this Summer job (internship) which requires a car to drive around. We were up there in the late Summer during the annual parade in Eugene, and I never saw so many old, burnt-out but proud Hippes marching around... looks like they left the Haight-Ashbury in their rainbow VW buses and drove right up to Eugene, OR!

Hey Awesome,

Did you see my other post about the cheap 2006 CLK 350??? $19,750, for a clean Kalifornia Kar, still under warranty!

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : CLK-Class (item 110329529202 end time Jan-12-09 21:31:14 PST)

This ebay auction ends in 3 hours, but it may not sell, in which case, you can call them up and make a really low offer. I think if you wait another month, in February or March for sure, the Recession will be in full swing and you should be able to pick up some really good deals on the newer 2006 E-CLK-
C class that are coming off lease right now.

Don't be in too much a hurry to buy right now... it's a Buyer's market and you are the King! But if you do see a good deal, nice metallic color, nice wood interior, NAV/GPS, Keyless-GO, primo car w/warranty, good price, etc... go for it!

Good Luck... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey all,

For what is worth, I looked at 05+ CLK 500s, 350s, etc. I had never owned a Mercedes-Benz and I did A LOT of research. I have PDFs of the 05 & 06 CLK brochures from Mercedes Benz and I used that to determine which year/engine/options were the best fit for me. I can e-mail you these PDFs if you need them to compare.

I decided that I wanted an 05 because you could get the aluminum trim on the interior. I also wanted the 7 speed transmission and I like the older tail lights. After driving both, I decided to buy a 500 over the 350. I was not impressed with the performance of the V6.

Some things to note on the 05 vs. 06: Wood steering wheel is option, but you lose the paddle shifters. Tail lights are upgraded on 06's. 06 500's come with courtesy fog lamps for driveways. They illuminate when the turn indicator is on. This is standard on the 05 V6 model but not available on the 05 500.

My 05 500 has every option available in 2005 except the wood steering wheel (yay paddle shifters) and park distance control. I also have a Kleemann LSD, AMG exhaust with quad tips, and smoked tail lights. I found this car and fell in love with the two tone red/black interior (only available in 2005) and the aluminum trim inside. So far the car has been great and the shop foreman at my local MB dealer advised that it is a very clean car. The 7 speed tranny has some bugs, but I am confident that my dealer has made the necessary adjustments (still adapting to the new changes).

I think you have to decide what you are looking for in your car. I have never considered fuel economy in any car I have purchased, but I shop and shop until I find the car that is equipped right for me. I think either MB that you decide to purchase you will be happy with.

As there was talk about MINIs in this thread, I have to mention that I sold a super nice 05 MINI Cooper S hardtop before I bought this Mercedes. I was the 2008 President of our Local MINI club here in Portland and we have decided to sell one of the two MINIs (our cabrio is a John Cooper Works).

I am a duck too (my MINI was my graduation present to myself).

Here are a few pics of my MINI:

Here are both of them:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat too. I'm leaning towards the CLK500 myself. 350 is compelling but I'm sure I'd kick myself later for not going V8.

Thought about E500 at first but don't want to deal with the Airmatic shocks (not if, but when) eventually biting the dust...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
350 VS 500 VS 550 and the Carbon Tax !!!

Wow! That Cabrio is a classic with those wheels... does it come in an automatic? My daughter would not mine driving that car... :D

Are all the model years good? OR is there a specific model year of automatics to avoid?

In regards to the 350 VS 500 VS 550:

This is really a personal decision... I do not race other cars as I have nothing to prove... that said, the 268 HP 3.5L V6 is plenty fast for the CLK body size/weight to get out of trouble on the freeway.

However, I would say that if you want a faster car then get the new 500 or 550 now but wait until February or March for the Recession to lower the prices more. This will be a good time to get a big engine at a good price as the demand is still low in spite of the lower gas price which will eventually raise again when the Hedge Funds get back into the stock/future market game.

Also, here in Kalifornia, they are planning to rate cars according to it's Karbon footprint. With the loss of jobs and drop in real estate value, thus a severe drop in state income revenue; they are looking for ways to generate more income through fees and assessments. The Karbon footprint (get ready for the Carbon Tax/Fee!) will be one way to generate this income like in England where they are taxed according to the engine displacement; this is why you see more engine size 2.0 Liters and smaller... as larger sizes are taxed as much as $1000/ year annual fee, whether you drive the car or not!

I've heard that New York was planning some really outrageous fees/fines/taxes to compensate for the drop in revenue income.

I cannot predict the future, but maybe you should get the CLK 500 (dealer has very heavy discount now) and have your fun now while you still affordable... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
The cabrio is a limited edition John Cooper Works car. I believe they do come in automatic. Those wheels are very rare and they are a John Cooper Works setup.

I would stay with an 05 or newer. If you are looking for automatic, prior to 05, stay with 04 or newer. 03 CVT trannies had some issues to my knowledge. I would say stay 05 or newer though.

Good luck, they are fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts