Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, im new to the forums and have driven BMW's my whole life. IM really new to Mercedes (as they were always out of my price range)

But my mother wants to buy an slk 230

not the AMG, just a 4 banger.

My question is, are they reliable cars? (im purchasing it for her and dont want to screw her over)

How many miles are they good for?
im looking at buying one around 30-40k miles.

Also any good online forums where people sell used Benz's?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
quillbro - 2/17/2005 4:18 PM

not the AMG, just a 4 banger.
You could opt for the 6 cyl 320. There seem to be less engine problems than the already problem-free 230.

My question is, are they reliable cars? (im purchasing it for her and dont want to screw her over)
No problems here. Many have experienced minor cosmetic/electical problems, but some have had more. Don't get too scared by Miked619's testimony. Just make sure to have the car checked out and you should be fine. There haven't been many reports of anything major(which would compromise reliability) happening.

·
Registered
SLK 230 98'
88 Posts
They say that statistically it's the most reliable car in this range.

Have a 230. Had some problems though, well... expensive. Luckily it was taken care of by the dealer.

R

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what kind of problems?

I guess thier tops might break after alot of uses...is this true?

All in all I think Im gonna go for this car.

Otherwise she wanted to get a 350z but im trying to keep our family out of the asian market. heh heh heh [:)]

anyway thanks. I also saw some different posts like mine. And they were helpful too. Does anyone know how many PSI the supercharger is pushing on the 230? im just curious as im wondering if the supercharger would have an adverse effect on the life of the engine. Has anyone had to have thier superchargers cleaned? Im guessing most of you dont log that many miles on these cars though. Also...just curios can you buy some aftermarket pullies to get a few more horse out of the engine? thanks alot

·
Registered
SLK 230 98'
88 Posts
quillbro - 2/17/2005 6:43 PM
what kind of problems?

I guess thier tops might break after alot of uses...is this true?
The problem was that ECU was busted. Had to be replaced twice. That's expensive. But I've never heard that this has happened to anyone else.

Never heard of issues with tops.

My car is a 98' but it hasn't been used much. It has only run 50 000 km.

quillbro - 2/17/2005 6:43 PM
Does anyone know how many PSI the supercharger is pushing on the 230? im just curious as im wondering if the supercharger would have an adverse effect on the life of the engine. Has anyone had to have thier superchargers cleaned? Im guessing most of you dont log that many miles on these cars though. Also...just curios can you buy some aftermarket pullies to get a few more horse out of the engine?
Don't know the details. But many guys here, and I am considing it as well, have replaced their pulleys. The general opinion is that the supercharger can be squeezed more.

A guy on this group ,named linh, has assembled his own pulley kit. He is selling it right here. Just do a search. Supposingly it is a good kit.

Rafael

·
Registered
2000 Slk230 Sport
144 Posts
The earlyer 230 got a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty for engine damage that is oil related do to a class action lawsuit. My car is covered and it's a 2000 but I don't know if the newer ones are covered.

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts
I bought a '98 about a year ago with 41,000 miles and have put 10,000 on it since then. It was pretty much perfect when I bought it and still is. Other than replacing the passenger brake light twice (a common problem) I've had no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sounds rediculous to have to replace the break lights every 5k miles. in 100k that would be replacing the thing 20 times. what is up with that?

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
You can get around the brakelights, there are several homemade fixes that seem to solve the problem. If your in the market for an SLK I have a 99 body w/mostly 04 parts im willling to say let you have for a modest price[:D] I must say after I have stopped taking the car to the stealer for repairs (its out of all warranties now) I feel more confident with the car. That and I think its been gone over and replaced lots of parts.

·
Registered
95 NSX / 98 SLK
382 Posts
quillbro - 2/17/2005 8:35 PM

that sounds rediculous to have to replace the break lights every 5k miles. in 100k that would be replacing the thing 20 times. what is up with that?
That's not exactly how it worked. I replaced the first one after less than 1000 miles and then replaced that same unit (no charge the 2nd time) about 1000 miles later. Since then it's been okay. I may never have to do it again or I may do it twice again this year. No one knows.

It is a design flaw, I deal with it. There are numerous homebrew fixes that I may or may not delve into if I ever have another failure.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
Had mine almost 5 years, only one problem in all that time. Roof doesn't leak, still runs like a dream with 79000 miles. Parts are not really as expensive as you might think, and with all the guys knowledge on this forum you've almost got a free workshop !!

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
I agree with BlueBenz...The car is a blast. Aside from a couple of minor things (tailight and roof micro switch) the car has been great! Super reliable, fun to drive, good on gas and it gets the looks.[8D] I would recommend the SLK to all who want FUN [:p]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts