Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Well I am now on my Third Mercedes Benz. All of which have been great cars. I have had 2 300 E's and 1 300 D. Now that I am a little bit older I think it's time to have a little more room. I have found a 1989 White 420SEL. Over all it seems to be great. it has only 116,000 on the odometer. I did do a car fax and everything checks out. Everything seems to work. The A/c is not quite as cold as I would like it to be. I am hoping that is just a recharge needed. If not A new compressor, Oh well. Anyway if any of you have any experience with this car good or bad, please tell me your thoughts. I have felt all my E class cars to be Bullet Proof. Never any major problems. Is this true for the S class and thier v-8 engines? Email me if you like. I would appreciate your feed back.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks so much for your comments. I think we are gonna go and have a closer look at this one Wednesday. They dealer says he has no records on the car. Over all, from what I have seen, and heard when I drove the car, it seemed perfect. But again, I have never owned a S class car.
My Current E Class has developed a small leak in the Heater Core. I was told 15 hours of labor to install it. The core is only 170.00 which did not bother me. But I have driven this car for 3 years, and thought maybe it's time to get a little bigger. Although I don't think I will be parting with my E either. I think I will just put it in the garage and have that core replaced later, when I am more prepared for it. I have already had a Valve job done on the car and it runs like a new one, and I have never driven anything that handles like it.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also I wanted to ask. There is another S class I am seeing. I think it's a 300SEL, I could be wrong. It looks just like the 420. However I was told it had a 6 cylinder engine in it. I have had good luck with my 6 cylinders in the E class cars. However one person told me that was too big of a car for a 6 cylinder engine, and I would not see any savings in fuel, that I would do just as well to get the 8 Cylinder. Any thoughts on this?

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I think it depends on your driving. If you are in stop and go traffic, v8 is better. with the 300, you'll be flooring it everytime.

the v8s are also more fun, but since you are looking at the 420, rather than 560, i assume you aren't too into fast driving?

The w126s maintenance costs more than the E classes, but have few major problems. Be wary of a car with no records (spotty records are even worse). These cars WILL fail if not given timely maintenance.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have always been into Speed, however at 33 it's time for me to be a little more sincable.lol I have never had a DUI in my life, but my license have been revoked 3 times for too many speeding tickets.lol The only reason I am looking at the 420 versus a 560, is at the moment there is not a 560 around that I feel is resonably priced. many have told me there is no difference in the 560 engine from the 420 engine, other than uses a little more fuel. The reason I was looking at the 6 was for Fuel economy. I am in Palm Beach Florida, and Traffic here is always stop and go, and it's horriable. So I think you may be right in the idea of going with the 8 engine. Also, can you tell me, is the 420sel a 3 speed or 4 speed tranny? My E is a 3 speed. Which I found very odd after going from a lincoln to a mercedes. It seems the RPMS are higher than most cars. Also you mentions maintance or these cars will fail. Anything I should look for that would be obivious? There are always maintance stuff I look into like oil changes, Valve jobs, that kinda thing. and of course hoses, belts. Fill me in please.lol I may decided 2,200 to replace the heater core in my E class might not be so bad.lol

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
All the auto 126s have four forward speeds, so does your 124, they start in second. All the M103s run at high RPM on the highway, there’re geared that way. The 126s (second generation, anyway) are very similar to your 124 for what to look for/avoid: just make sure you ask about the V8’s plastic chain guides and when the chain was last replaced or at least checked.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
What is the problem with adding R134a to a R12 system. I know that you aren't supposed to do it, and that the R134a will leak out slowly, but in these older A/C systems the freon leaks out anyway, so what difference does it make?? R12 does seem to blow a little colder in my opinion though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts