Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 & 126
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating buying an older 406. I consider myself to be fairly knowledgable on both diesel and gas benzes and if the deal is closed this would be MB #5 for me. What I'm hoping to get from you guys is to input drawn on your experience and knowledge of what to look for,what to avoid and a general idea of what a diesel 406 from 1976 should cost me, the mog is in fair cond from what the owner tells me. Also how easily are new/used parts obtained. Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Welcome, I recently bought my 416 after owning a long string of 300td wagons. Parts are always available, but often they're coming from overseas so you have to learn to be patient. I try to support local suppliers for filters and seals and the like, but if I'm in a hurry, I call Germany and have it shipped express. As for value, Mogs seem to have a supply and demand issue. As a buyer, you are one of a few, but there aren't many to pick from. I paid $8000 for mine, and in hindsight feel cheated. There were several problems not disclosed {clutch, radiator, trans seal} that I am sure the seller knew about. Not to mention the lousey paint job. BUT, it was relatively local, and I wasn't comfortable buying a truck sight unseen from across the US or europe. I won't trash the seller by name, but if anyone's dealing with an older fellow around Arlington, Va be warned that he's not very honest about mechanical history and such. I managed to contact the source he bought from in Amsterdam, they put me in touch with the previous owners, who bought it in Egypt. I found that some of the problems had been unresolved for almost ten years. Small wonder that there were so few hours on the rehauled engine, done in Amsterdam 1995. Do some research, and if you can spend alot of time going over the truck. Look at everything carefully, and keep a list to keep it all straight. Parts are expensive, so it will pay off if you know what you're getting in to. FYI I've got about $2500 into my truck right now, and have only driven it about 100 miles. Almost back together though, we'll see how much I get done this weekend. Good luck, Seth

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Pull the drain plugs on all 4 portal boxes and check for water and/or metal. If the portal gears are toast, you're talking MAJOR repair money. Pay attention to front axle seals entering rhe portal boxes - if there's oil on the hubs, new seals are in order. While not a huge job, it's a PITA...

The OM352 is pretty bulletproof. Standard visual inspection for a diesel motor should be good enough. Warning, these engines smoke like hell when cold. When warmed up (coolant over 70C) a strong engine should only give a haze of soot on hard acceleration. Factory rev limit on an old 406 should be 2500 RPM - if you can run it higher, someone has messed with the injection pump (common) and closer inspection is called for.

6-speed or cascade transmission ? Shift through all gears (and ranges if applicable). It should shift like a tractor - hard but positive. If it's a older cascade transmission, some gears are riveted in place and can be fragile if not treated with respect. Look for metal fragments in the lube.

Look for rust in the door bottoms and evidence of water getting in through the rear cab window seals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts