Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the "oyster" interior and the center console is prrling pretty badly.
Has anyone stripped the center console and left it black and kept the color of the rest of the interior pieces?

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
somebody did stripped the paint. i think you should repaint yours, it wouldnt look good unless you strip all the vynil covered parts.. even if you strip all those parts you still have the door panels and seats in white. my opinion

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
SLK-Manila - 5/26/2004 10:10 PM

Delicately I used the 3M paint remover on the dash and center console box. It took me an entire day to carefully remove the paint. After it is all removed, I used a wet sponge (with soap) to wash away the paint remover. Then I used Mcguirre's dashboard cleaner to make it shine. This will only work with black interior, if you have colored interior (red, blue), it may look funny. I'll take some pictures of my dashboard over the weekend a post it here.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The stripped interior parts do not look bad at all. I think this is a great alternative if you have the time to do it right.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Time to reveal my secret projects ;)

I am checking out different places.

So far i found a place that will wrap roll bars in real Carbon fiber for 250$

After i'll do roll-bars i want to get a hold of spare center console and get it wrapped in CF - that way i don't have to deal with peeling issue never again.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Kirill - 3/23/2005 10:47 AM
wwooaahh!! hook it up!! i want this too... i was going to have it wrapped in leather but i think CF will be much nicer. btw i found some center console pcs on ebay not too long ago, no bidders.. no winners.. the seller might post it again sometime soon so watch out.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
slkpwr - 3/23/2005 12:03 PM

Kirill - 3/23/2005 10:47 AM
wwooaahh!! hook it up!! i want this too... i was going to have it wrapped in leather but i think CF will be much nicer. btw i found some center console pcs on ebay not too long ago, no bidders.. no winners.. the seller might post it again sometime soon so watch out.
I'll post all the info as soon as i'll get mine done. I hope to find a place that will do it for less.

What you think - silver or black CF ?

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
250 is not bad at all.. i think black will look good on yours if you have black or red interior other than oyster.. silver is good too if you want some contrast.. but definitely get silver if you have oyster interior.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
slkpwr - 3/23/2005 1:21 PM

250 is not bad at all.. i think black will look good on yours if you have black or red interior other than oyster.. silver is good too if you want some contrast.. but definitely get silver if you have oyster interior.
250$ it's not for the set - you give the guy your rollbars+250$ - get back you rollbars with CF around visible part.

I got red interior - i think i'll go for black bars

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Definitely go with black CF. $250 isn't that bad though...think about how much money it would cost to repaint the dash without warranty, or think about how much other aftermarket parts cost. Even $750 or $800 for the whole combo (roll bars and console) wouldn't be that bad. Good luck!

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230 sport
56 Posts
I was facing the problem with the stripped paint, so i went to the stealership this morning. To touch it up and fill the chips would cost me $130. they told me it would not look as good and it would probably peel again in a year or too. I asked for a replacement and i ended up ordering a replacement console, $347 + tax, which is not bad i guess. DEATHERAGE do you still have the pics of removing the console by any chance?

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
I asked for a replacement and i ended up ordering a replacement console, $347 + tax, which is not bad i guess. DEATHERAGE do you still have the pics of removing the console by any chance?
Can i get your old console when you'll be done with it ?

·
Registered
1999 Slk 230 sport
56 Posts
Kirill - 3/24/2005 5:22 PM

I asked for a replacement and i ended up ordering a replacement console, $347 + tax, which is not bad i guess. DEATHERAGE do you still have the pics of removing the console by any chance?
Can i get your old console when you'll be done with it ?
The old console will probably be out of my car by next week, it will be completely stripped to it's black finish ready to paint, i will let you know more about it once i have it taken out, and will give you a reasonable price

·
Registered
1998 230SLK
4 Posts
Want to thank SLKPWR for the thoughts on stripping the paint. Was unhappy with the options of buying a new console (and having to replace/repaint it later), or repainting the console (same options). Stripped mine this weekend and really like the results. I have pics, but they basically look like the ones SLKPWR has in this post. Used the same process using a standard stripper and armor all, just need to really watch the stripping agent to make sure it doesn't damage the plastic. Also I found that using a soft mesh covered sponge to remove the paint once stripped worked well without causing any scratching.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
The paint stripped look isn't bad; I was looking inside of a Honda S2000 today and its interior looks almost the same color as the stripped car photos.

I think that you're still losing a lot of the appeal of these interiors when you remove the paint. They look like rich, high quality leather when they are in good shape. Rather than stripping everything, I've begun to just touch-up everything with an airbrush, which turns out as good as new.

I'm still waiting for someone with an extra console to try spraying it with flat latex house paint. Seriously, as much as I've spent on these flexible latex interior paints, I am beginning to doubt that they are anything other than premium quality interior/exterior flat latex. Spraying my house a week ago really made me think about this. That premium quality housepaint is every bit as flexible as the paint that I've been buying from leathertechworld.com. And, I have to say that none of the areas that I have sprayed have flaked or chipped over the past 6 months...just that factory finish seems to be so fragile.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the "paint" from the center console

I love my little green 98 SLK(50K) miles. I am the only one that has ever driven this car. It really blows my mind that Mercedes would make a product where the dash "PEELS OFF". Greenway Mercedes painted my dash as the only option..... the cannot be right. Are there recalls or coupons from MB for replacement dashes? Today I noticed that my headliner is drooping from the celing.....overnight! Any recall or action to take on this before I go to Greenway? PLEASE HELP. jan (native Houston working girl)

·
Registered
SLK230 Limited Editi
337 Posts
IF i were to remove the console and strip it down to the black underneath, would repainting it myself solve the peeling problem? I guess I would need to use a vinyl spray paint? Just thinking at this point.....

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
RE: the "paint" from the center console

Jan Burns - 11/1/2005 11:20 AM

I love my little green 98 SLK(50K) miles. I am the only one that has ever driven this car. It really blows my mind that Mercedes would make a product where the dash "PEELS OFF". Greenway Mercedes painted my dash as the only option..... the cannot be right. Are there recalls or coupons from MB for replacement dashes? Today I noticed that my headliner is drooping from the celing.....overnight! Any recall or action to take on this before I go to Greenway? PLEASE HELP. jan (native Houston working girl)
That headliner panel should be easy to repair, if it is not torn. Did you ever get it fixed at Greenway? Mercedes Houston North has a real helpful service department that seems more reasonable on pricing than Greenway, if you need to try somewhere else.

·
Registered
SLK200 '97 nov
478 Posts
doctorkaligari - 11/3/2005 8:20 AM

IF i were to remove the console and strip it down to the black underneath, would repainting it myself solve the peeling problem? I guess I would need to use a vinyl spray paint? Just thinking at this point.....
fyi. i stripped part of my center console about 4 years ago (the part near the brake) and sprayed it with charcoal paint however, the parts that i would touch/rub/come into contact often is showing the black underneath again. i guess unless you rewrap it with leather, this problem is here to stay...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts