Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I am debating about selling my 1991 420 SEL that my dad bought it new.
The car is just sitting on my driveway and I hardly drive her.

The car has 50K miles on the odometer. Last summer, I put 4 new tires on the car along with basic tune up (changing collant, sparkplugs, steering fluid, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, air filter)

The wires are still original, and never change the timing chain yet. The car is in a good condition (NOT MINT) which I am attached a couple pictures for you to review. The car involved in a minor accident a couple of years back, which I have the body shop repaint most of the car in the original color. Do you think if I am putting this car up for sale, what price should I ask for? Please advise.

Thanks and Happy Holiday!

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
Wow, spitting image of mine! Looks like the same color interior and exterior. Though your paint is in much better condition. GLWS. :)

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Keep it. You are lucky enough to have one of the best cars ever made.

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
Keep it. You are lucky enough to have one of the best cars ever made.
No doubt. +10 on that at least. I have a '91 420. Last year of the great ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am toying with the idea. I am located in NJ.

I have a few questions, which I need your guys expert opinion:

Lets assume that if I plan on keeping the car, at the age of close to 20 yrs old with 50K miles, what should I change on the car?

As of now, like I mentioned on the earlier post, I change all the basic items. The car still have everything original expect the tires, spark plugs, fuel filter, oil filter.

The car still running on the original Alternator, shocks.

I understand that I should change the timing chain, rail etc.. I would like to know how much money I should put on the side for the preventive maintainence. If it cost too much (since I dont work on the car myself), it would make alot more sense to just sell the car rather than spend the money on her which I would never recover the cost. Please adivse.

By the way, a week or two ago, I experiece the stalling problem. After asking on this forum, someone suggested that I should look into Fuel Pump Relay. After changing the Relay, the car starts fine and does not stall the same way it used to. But I also noticed slight problem. I feel the car consume lots of gas. I believe that I probably got about 10-12 miles per gallon even on the HWY. The car show little hesitation when drive on the local road. On HWY, the car has tons of power and did NOT show any hesitation like when I drive her on local road.

On the local road, the car will stall some time, but not very ofter. What do you think could cause this problem?

Another thing I also noticed is that when dark at night, if I start the car and turn on the headlight, I noticed that the interior light dim ON AND OFF. What could be the cause?

Thanks for any response and the suggestion so far.

Regards,

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,944 Posts
You would have to invest several thousand dollars to bring this car to proper operation if you didn't do the work yourself and have to pay a shop

Probably best to unload it, too bad I am in ca I would buy it

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
I would totally buy this car if I didn't already have a '91 420. Too bad its not a 560 or a Gen 1 or an SE. Any of those and I'd begin to think about it. Jersey is certainly close enough.

As far as not getting your money out of it after repairs, thats entirely up to how you perceive it. Its real low mileage and will easilly go 200 to 300 thousand more if properly maintained. How long would it take you to rack up those miles? How many 60 month car loans would you have in the same time? How much would you spend on repairs to those cars in that time? Would any of them even come close to the quality?

Things to ponder.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the response. I dont use this car much. I have a van which I used mostly with my family. I put less than 10K miles on the minivan a year.

I agreeed that I should unload the car and dont have to worry about bringing the car up to the operating condition. What do you think I can get on the car if I decide to sell her?

THanks

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
I'm getting a solid 20 mpg in my 1990 420SEL. Up to 24 at times.

I think 5,000 would be a reasonable starting point, or finishing point as the case maybe.

I would definetly catch up on the maintanence, keep that up, so that things don't break, fix the things that break and next stop is 250,000 miles or more.

If the exterior color was arctic white I would really be all over getting with you. I have a arctic white and grey interior car that was wrecked so I have good parts available.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
275 Posts
I'm getting a solid 20 mpg in my 1990 420SEL. Up to 24 at times.

I think 5,000 would be a reasonable starting point, or finishing point as the case maybe.

I would definetly catch up on the maintanence, keep that up, so that things don't break, fix the things that break and next stop is 250,000 miles or more.

If the exterior color was arctic white I would really be all over getting with you. I have a arctic white and grey interior car that was wrecked so I have good parts available.
What?!?! How?? I did some calculations on my last fillups, and with city and highway combined mileage I'm getting around 12.8. :confused:

·
Registered
1990 420 sel 213,800 replaced water pump and radiator; the timing chain good
268 Posts
16,469 miles/ 683.786 gallons That's the record from 2009 to now.

I drive like an old man, no jack rabbit, cruise about 2500 rpm, hardly ever go over 3000 rpm. Other than that, I don't know. Check your tire pressure, Obama sezs we can save over 10 percent by properly inflating our tires.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again!

So?, any advice of what need to be done to the car in term of prevention and will make the car last for another 100K miles. Eventhough I dont drive much, it would be a great feeling to know that I dont have to worry about the car for years to come.

Thanks

·
Registered
560SEL 560SEC 300SEL E320 Cab. MB Metris Van / 300TD 300TE 300SDL, 300D, Unimog 406 (Gone)
2,321 Posts
Your dilemma, which has unfolded above, is that you have one of the best cars ever made including everything for sale today. Best and safest. The engine is bullet proof and unless you let your high school aged sons drive it, it will likely last for the 200,000-300,000 miles described above. If you actually drove it 10,000 miles per year, which I doubt, properly tuned you would consume 600 gallons of gas. So the whole world of the possible in terms of economy is maybe $1800. That amount is less than the annual depreciation on a new Corolla. And you still need to buy some gas for the Corolla. And, replace it every 10 years or so. You will be hard pressed to spend more than a thousand dollars getting it back in roadworthy condition unless the squirrels have nested in it.

So you have the finest luxury car money can buy and you can only get 5000-10000 for it. So, as I said above, keep it. Sell the van.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts