Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short I have loved german cars for a while now, I currently have a very reliable VW that I daily and have been wanting to pick up a project. I have been extremely picky, but this has seemed to fall into my lap. My dad is a gas Technician, and knows his way around wrenching pretty well. I am slowly picking up and want to get something I can kind of mess around with. We have a garage, and storage is no issue, parts and tools are easily obtainable also and we don't have a shortage really.
My dad recently got to talking with a buddy who has a bit of land, and word was he had a mercedes out there. The guy doesn't want anything to do with it, but his girlfriend actually inherited the land and was given the title to all the cars and things out there. I plan on making a trip in the next few weeks to look at it. My dad fishes and hunts with the guy and they went and looked at it and got some pictures, my dad explained it like a time capsule, it has less than 30,000 on it, and was last running and parked in the last ten years.My dad is certain we can get it running, he said a week and some money for new fluids and it'll crank. Im going to check it out and see what she's thinking on a price, I know parts will be hard to come buy, but I'm in no rush and think it would be an alright first project.
Heres some pictures.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
That's a w116 280S US version. The interior does look pretty good for sitting that long. It is MB tex which holds up well. Sitting that long you need to inspect and probably clean the gas tank, replace all the rubber fuel lines and the big filter in the bottom of gas tank. Then connect the fuel in and out lines that are in the engine bay together and run the pump for 20 minutes or so to clean the lines out. DO NOT even try to start the car until you have done this.

There could also be a lot of other rubber parts that need refreshing.Check for rust under front floor mats.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Dude, your father is trying to talk you into this project - this means he wants to spend more time with his son. I have two sons too (1 and 4 years old) and i know there will be a time where they will wonder out of the house never to look back. Your pops just want to bring back some old memories. It doesn't matter if the car will ever run, what matters is the father-son time you guys will spend tinkering away. I say go ahead and jump into this project without any hesitation.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well, the good and bad of the car is that it is an "S" model.

M110, straight six, 2.8L, fueled by a Solex 4 BBl carburetor.

Good because since it is a carburetor there is no problem with the injection system being corroded/seized due to not running for such a long time. No need for an expensive fuel pump, worries about rotted pressurized fuel lines, costly injectors, deteriorated injector harness, etc.

Bad because it is fueled by the Solex 4A1, known affectionately as the "stinkinfritzenfragglemizer". 😖

Ask Patryk about his adventures with one. Not an insurmountable problem as there are a few options should you decide to replace it but it can be daunting to deal with.

Save yourself a world of grief and replace the obsolete trigger gear/points/transistorized control box set up with an aftermarket electronic control such as "HotSpark", "Pertronix" or "Crane".

Maybe I'm just jaded or a cheap skate but I wouldn't offer more than a couple of hundred bucks for the car despite what looks to be a good interior. You're looking at a couple grand of immediate parts replacements/repairs IF there aren't any major problems with the power train.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Though i know Mike will hate me for saying that, Solex 4a1 isn't THAT bad.
You can find plenty of explanations about this carb on my blog that greatly comes from frustration about scarcity of info about carburation in general that's available on the net.

As Mike has said, expect to ad another 3-4 thousand minimum to bring the car back. But as I said, it really doesn't matter cause the time you and your father spends together will ultimately be priceless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts