Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am looking for some help/background info. I am in need of a new car and there is a great looking 2000 SLK in my sights. I have never owned a MB before and hope you can give me insight into that model year and its pros and cons. It has 76000 miles and 2 owners. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
There are alot of things to check in a used car...in fact (not to spam), but Checklist Investor contains a used car checklist...you can download the checklist for free, and read the items (its txt format). All the other Checklists deal with stock buying/selling, but I added one for used car buying for fun...and since it is a big financial commitment. See:
http://www.checklistinvestor.com/checklists.html

Get the mtc. records for sure. Some of the known issues with SLKs:
1. Center consol paint peals.
2. Brake light housing has some failures and needs to be fixed or replaced.
3. Tires only seem to last around 20K

(Not to scare you but I've spent about 5K on repairs over a 7.5 year period, so budget accordingly). In general, I'd say my luck has been worse than most. About 9 months ago I had to replace the SuperCharger.

The cars do keep there value well, which does offset some of the repair costs.

Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Make sure you get a carfax. While not 100% fool proof it is a well spent $20. In addition go to your local MB dealership and have them provide you with the repair history. MB has changed some of the rules so if you are not purchasing from an MB dealership you might have to fight a little with them but make sure you get it. The last thing you want to do is purchase a car only to find out it has had one problem after another.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
if you do a "search" here, you may find quite a lot of other info. Quite a few people have come to this site recently with similar questions to you, so there's a wealth of advice from the past here !
Good luck

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I agree with the search Idea. This question has come up a lot. Soemone in the forums is also offering to do a car fax for you for free so look at that. If you can snap some pics of the interior / exterior engine ect.. and post em. How much money do they want for the slk. the year is 2000? yes?

My roof sticks sometimes so I keep getting it repaired under service.

My rear tail lights went out once.... um thats about it on the major anoying meter.

--Deathy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts