Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a clk 320 with 18 inch amg monoblock rims. and i was thinking about lowering the car. and im not sure how this works and what parts i would need to change? can any one tell me what i need to change whats the best spring/shock setup, how much should i expect to spend??

·
Registered
2000 CLK
383 Posts
go for it it will change the look of your car dramaticly..i have 18" too and this is what i went with after i asked linh about it and it looks awesome:

eibach pro lowering springs

#1 E class pads in the front ( they don't make #1 pads for CLK)

#2 clk pads in the back

make sure to get your wheels alingment after ...the whole thing shouldn't cost you more than $700

good luck

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Good luck to all who install E-class spring pads on the front as they are too small creating the spring to not ride in the upper channel properly which makes your $40k car sound like a ford pinto when turning or approaching sudden inclines/declines in the road. Again, good luck to all who try this set-up. Install the stock springs back w/ the lowering springs and just be happy. Changing pads is so over-rated as each pad # down you go only changes ride height by a ***T-hair anyways. My .02 good luck...BC

·
Registered
01' CLK430
24 Posts
I would just go with the H&R lowering springs which will run you about $227 at tirerack.com and install should be aournd $250 with an alignment...no pads.. actaully thats exactly what I'm getting [:D]

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so your not getting the shocks.. wouldnt that mess up the stock schocks if u use lowering springs with them and they're not made for that height? and would that void the warranty in any way because my car still is under teh starmark extended warranty.

·
Registered
01' CLK430
24 Posts
I had a Civic Si dropped on H&R moderate lowering springs with stock shocks and never had any problems, and i know a couple of people with lowering springs on their CLK with stock shocks, anf they're so far so good, and bout the warrenty I would have to say it'd be voided

·
Registered
01' CLK430
24 Posts
It would viod your Warrenty on your suspension...and if something else breaks, if they could link it to that it was caused by the after market springs then it wouldn't be covered by the warrenty.

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
174 Posts
LorinserAMG - 3/13/2005 1:45 AM

I would just go with the H&R lowering springs which will run you about $227 at tirerack.com and install should be aournd $250 with an alignment...no pads.. actaully thats exactly what I'm getting [:D]
Igot H&R

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
ChiCLK430

Is that on stock shocks? If so how is the ride? Your drop looks pretty low..how many inches dropped in front and rear?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ChiCLK430

nice. any problems so far with just the h&r springs? and who installed your lowering springs?

Randy

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use Eibach's with #4 Pads Front and Back.
Also went with better shocks (Koni Yellow's)
Tried different pad set ups and found that #4' allow me to put people in the car without bottoming it out and the ride is a bit more comfortable..No issues with rubbing, alignment or anything..

·
Registered
W208
216 Posts
Ok I finally got around to take a shot since the weather hasn't been to great lately..It is lowered on H&R springs with stock pads and 20" kruz wheels..I know not a lot of you guys like 20" wheels and everyone goes with 19" but please keep your negative comments to yourself..thanks!

Before:

After:

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
fortyfive - 3/19/2005 10:40 AM

I use Eibach's with #4 Pads Front and Back.
Also went with better shocks (Koni Yellow's)
Tried different pad set ups and found that #4' allow me to put people in the car without bottoming it out and the ride is a bit more comfortable..No issues with rubbing, alignment or anything..
Hey FortyFive... Can you post some pics of your setup? I am looking to lower mine soon and havent decided if i want to use #3 or #4 pads with Eibach springs. I have Adjustable Koni Yellows with Eibach springs on my daily driver (prelude)... they are nice and I like how you can adjust the stiffness on the Koni's.... are the ones for the w208 the same way? Also, did you have any problems with your camber afterwards? Did you have to get a camber kit? I know on my prelude i was going through tires every 12k miles until i got the camber adjusted.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 CLK430 Coupe
317 Posts
how come most people choose H&R over Eibach? Are they not as good? Is the kmac camber kit necessary for the front as well as the back? Are there alternatives to the kmac kit?

·
Registered
1999 Clk320
239 Posts
RE: Here's mine..........

Linh - Your wheel gap is perfect. I am guessing "1/5/Eibach spring" means you have #1 in the front and #5 in the back, right? I also saw you have listed an H&R spacer... what is that used for... Camber adjustment? How rough is the ride having only a #1 in the front?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2000 CLK 430
1,131 Posts
linh what spring pads should i use for mine i'm on 19 with h&r i know you have all the answers buddy.. i'm prob. gonna go up to mb and get the pads and call up the shop as soon as you answer this.. ;)

·
Registered
2001 CLK 430
174 Posts
0209 CLK - 3/14/2005 11:27 PM

ChiCLK430

Is that on stock shocks? If so how is the ride? Your drop looks pretty low..how many inches dropped in front and rear?
I forgot the name of the shocks

What brand are stock shocks?

The ride is like a BMW 3 Series, sticks to the road instead of like my CLK 430 bouncy on turns and every bump.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts