Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes C300 | 2005 Yamaha R6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been in the market for a new vehicle the past few weeks. I came across an 08 C300 sport with 49k miles on it certified by Mercedes for $24,999 (Internet price). The nice thing is that because its certified, it has a 1% APR for 60 months, and 2 year bumper to bumper warranty. Unfortunately this is not a 4-matic model, so it is RWD. I live in the Chicago land area, and the snow season can be pretty harsh out here sometimes. Luckily, the car has brand new all-season tires on it. I have never driven a RWD vehicle in the snow before, so i am unsure what to expect. If i threw some sand bags in the trunk, you guys think that would be sufficient, or would snow tires be a must?

Also, this vehicle does not have navigation installed (somewhat of a turn off), but the bigger turn off from what i have been reading is that the Ipod integration is limited to the steering wheel counsel.

I spoke with the car salesman, and he informed me that they have an Ipod integration kit for about $500 installed to integrate the Ipod to the command (function from the command wheel, as well as display on the screen). Can you guys confirm that this is correct? How hard is this device to install myself (im pretty savvy with this king of stuff).

Also, is there anything that i should be looking out for, or be concerned about with this model / year? What about routine maintenance (i.e. Oil changes, brake changes, etc.)? Is this something easily capably of performing in my garage?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
Snow tires are a very good idea...I think a "must"! My rwd C300 does very well in Michigan winters with Blizzak WS60 on all four corners, but was undriveable on so-called "all season" tires. Don't wait until you get stuck. Sandbags in the trunk do little to help steering or braking (weight transfer goes forward!)

·
Registered
2012 E350
18 Posts
I agree with Sportstick - I drive rwd C350 in Chicago and dedicated winter tires definitely will help. I have summer tires on so winter tires were a 'requirement' for me.
I also have the iPod integration and unfortunately it only displays on the dash and not on the command screen. Unless something has changed recently, I didn’t think the iPod can be displayed on the Command screen for an ’08. Overall, I have been very happy with the car.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes C300 | 2005 Yamaha R6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So after a few weeks of browsing the online auto sites, i came across a metallic blue with gray interior 08 C300 4Matic 48k miles. Ended up talking the dealer down to 23k out the door (which seems to be a reasonable deal).

When i test drove this car, i brought my Ipod and hooked it up to the integrated cable. However, once i actually figured out how to get the Ipod to play within the car, it wouldn't seem to come up on the media screen. This vehicle has the 7" navigation (and Harmon Karden sound)...i was under the impression that the Ipod integration shows up on the media screen with this option? Was i doing something wrong?

Also, i noticed that the plastic cover for the base of the Ipod integration cable was broken off (still works, but wires appear to be exposed). Would this be covered under the manufacturers warranty as it was an option with the car?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
'07 Audi RS4, '09 C300 Sport (Manual)-->Lease Ended
31 Posts
The ipod is accessed through the steering wheel left button control and you can see it in front of you on the speedo, you click it to the side then you can find the song playing and fast forward or advance to the next song. The nav. screen (we don't have navigation though) will only let you revert back to a CD, change to the radio, etc.

I'd really doubt you'd get stuck in anything with a newer RWD car. Traction control is so advanced now it's becoming less and less likely you'd 'need' AWD. The new Audis are so advanced they constantly adjust power (actual power, not pulsing the brake calipers) to each wheel--the system can divert up to 100% of power to one wheel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts