Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im thinking about buying a w460 280GE. ive always loved the looks and i need an suv for under 16,000 so im seriously considering one. and id like to know a little about them. are these very reliable? what are common problems, and are parts easy to find and relatively cheap in the US?

what are they like at higher speeds? are they good for highway driving? mountain roads? etc..

safety, im not expecting it to be extremely safe, and it wont be a deciding factor but i just want to know how safe these are. when did they start using airbags?

thanks for your help, and if anyone knows of some good websites to look for 460's for sale that would be great.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Hi if anyone knows of some good websites to look for 460's for sale that would be great.
They can be extremely reliable, provided that they've been properly taken care of. Parts are available, but not cheap. Depending on which transmission, they are fine on the highway and they are extremely safe - air bags or no air bags!

Check out Ebay and

clubgwagen.com vehicle ads

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks, there is a place around here that specializes in older mercedes. so hopefully they would be able to find parts easier than me.
im used to owning european cars, ive owned on audi and two bmw's. so paying a little more for parts will just be more of the same unless its extremely expensive for some reason.

my other choices were an older discovery, or an fj60 or fj80 land cruiser. i know a land cruiser will be cheaper. but could i expect better relibility and same price parts as a discovery?

and for highway use, how fast will these go? will they make it over 100 or will i be struggling at 75? ill be using it ALOT for offroad use, but its going to basically be a daily driver, so i want it to do decently well on road too.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
ok thanks, there is a place around here that specializes in older mercedes. so hopefully they would be able to find parts easier than me.
There are at least three suppliers who specialize in parts for the G of any age. Look around here. They've been mentioned more than once.

and for highway use, how fast will these go? will they make it over 100 or will i be struggling at 75?
Over 100, no! Struggle at 75, will depend on the engine, transmission tire size, etc; but, probably, yes. Don't forget that the vehicle has the aerodynamics of the Vienna Hofburg Palace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are at least three suppliers who specialize in parts for the G of any age. Look around here. They've been mentioned more than once.

Over 100, no! Struggle at 75, will depend on the engine, transmission tire size, etc; but, probably, yes. Don't forget that the vehicle has the aerodynamics of the Vienna Hofburg Palace.
ok im only looking at 5 speeds. is it mostly an aero thing or a engine/tranny thing? like will i be close to redline in 5th gear at 75mph?

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
ok im only looking at 5 speeds. is it mostly an aero thing or a engine/tranny thing? like will i be close to redline in 5th gear at 75mph?
Are you talking about the 5-speed manual Getrag transmission in a 280GE? If yes, I used to drive from Atlanta to Utah at 75-80 mph in mine which was equipped that way. The stock 5-speed (not a replacement 5-speed) has a slight overdrive in 5th gear. You won't be at redline, but the engine will be turning pretty high - about 3500-4000 rpm, as I remember.

You won't get it much faster than that, since there aren't enough horses (150) in that engine to push the Vienna Hofburg palace through the wind much faster than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how about the auto 4 speed? how will that be for highway use?
and anyone got some advice for where to look for one? im looking for a 4 door, and so far ive found 2, one the seller wont respond and the others a little more than id like to spend.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
how about the auto 4 speed? how will that be for highway use?
and anyone got some advice for where to look for one? im looking for a 4 door, and so far ive found 2, one the seller wont respond and the others a little more than id like to spend.
The 4-speed will not be as good on the highway as a 5-speed, but it would be adequate.

Did you look at clubgwagen.com's classifieds? Offer the high guy lower than he's offering. he just might jump on it. G's, especially older ones, usually take longer to sell than the seller would like; so they become willing to dicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts