Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Mercedes cars, but have found a quick affection for them. I moved from all Toyota and love working on cars. I recently bought a 2001 E320 wagon with low miles and it is the best car I have ever had. And I have had 5 new cars all of which Yotas. I recently thought about selling my wifes 2008 Mitsubishi SUV and giving her my wagon and buying me an older diesel. I drive 25,000 plus miles a year and really don't mind older cars. So i started to hunt for turbo diesel sedans when I ran across a nice 87 turbo wagon.

It has 250k miles, some good maintenance, is clean, undamaged body, no rust, and the guy selling it owns 2 other diesel sedans of the same vintage. He bought the wagon but said it never grew on him and he prefers his sedans.

I know about the aluminum head issue, and I am prepared to deal with that if it hasn't ever been replaced, is there anything else I should be concerned about before spending $3k on this older car?

Thanks,

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
The cylinder head issue is the only thing unique to this particular engine, but like all the 60X engines in the 124 chassis, you need to ensure that the vacuum pump has been upgraded to the latest design and that the injection timing device has a smooth ramp to drive the pump. Other than that, the rest are just chassis specific questions you'll want answered regarding the state of the climate control, suspension and transmission.

·
Registered
2001 E320 Wagon
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that helps narrow my search a lot. He did state that he recently installed a new ac blower, but the climate controls did not work. Something about bypassing the controls with a toggle switch until he could find a control board.

·
Premium Member
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera coupe, 1989 BMW 325i, 2001 BMW R1150GS, [SOLD - 1991 Mercedes Benz 350 SDL]
211 Posts
What are the signs that the vacuum pump has failed? Is it easy to replace a vacuum pump and what's the general cost? Thanks!

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,654 Posts
Replacing a vacuum pump is not a particularly difficult job, as it is easy to access. the pump itself is fairly expensive ($400 or so) and only Pierburg brand should be used , IMHO. There are likely to be few, if any warning signs. The ball bearing in the pump will lose its balls into the belly of the beast and frequently kill it. I would think most of the 603's out there are on their original VP's and would benefit from a new one.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I did have old balls jamming my oil pump. We own the car for 2 years and drove about 10k miles, while the pump did not look new under all the grime, but turned out to be newer replacement after removal.
So it takes some time for the balls to punch the hole in oil pump screen, still time bomb. With side cover on this engine getting the balls is not a big job, so I can only guess what made PO to spend the money on new vacuum pump, but save on scooping the balls.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts