Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Think this a good deal? (Extended Warranty)

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  John Boy 330xi 
#1 ·
36mo/36k miles bumper to bumper, no deductible $2990
60mo/50k miles bumper to bumper, no deductible $3220

I only put 3k miles on the car this past year, so I'm thinking that this car will last forever mileage wise, that the 2nd one would be the best bet. Only $230 more and it is transferable.

MB of Escondido said they will underwrite the policy if they (aftermarket warranty company) were to go out of business.

#6 ·
MB dealers all ways say the underwritters will go out of business. Auto Guard for one has been in business for over 25 years. Like most insurance companies they've pretty much covered themselves financialy.

I purchased one year on mine from MB, it was I think, if I can remember, about 2,300.00 bucks at time of purchase. It gave me piece of mind. If anything goes wrong with this AMG I know its going to cost me a fortune to fix. My Honda's timming chain went 6 months after the warranty was over. The bill was over 3,000 bucks by the time they replaced the head, alternator and all the other stuff that you replace after seizing up a motor. I forgot what company we used for that car.

If you'd like to contact Auto Guard, (these are the folks I went with for my BMW after the warranty was over) you can call 999 818-6600 and if you want a nice sales rep ask for Travis Himstedt. With them, all your claims go through one person for the length of your policy, Travis never gave me a hard time with any questions that I had. You can cancel up to 60 days for any reason for a full refund too. They have free financing as well, small monthly payments.

#7 ·
If it gives you peace of mind

TK, long time no see. An extended warranty is a choice just like buying a home or renting, neither is more right than the other. If it gives you peace of mind, then go for it. Both deals sound fair but you and I both have to drive our cars more, a lot more.

John Boy 330xi - 2/26/2005 6:28 AM
MB dealers all ways say the underwritters will go out of business.
John Boy, I believe TK was saying that the dealership would honor the warranty even if the underwriter went out of business not that the underwriter would go out of business.

#10 ·
My question wasn't "Is this a good idea", it was "is this a good deal". [:D]

I wanted the peace of mind that the roof if covered "forever".

As when I drive it, I treat it like a door and close it and open it every time I get in, I never leave it down.

I was wondering about the pricing more than anything else...

#11 ·
TK, to me the price seems kinda high. The company that I spoke of earlier in the post charged me 23 for 100k. I know I paid a lot through Mercedes dealership, for one year just because "its an AMG".

TK< Call that Travis Fellow and get a quote. I'd be interested in seeing what he quotes you.

It doesn't hurt to hear what someone else has to offer. Oh, there was one diff. I did have a 50 dollar deductable.

#13 ·
If they go out of business, your screwed. That's why you look at the companies longevity first, try and find out as much about the company before ya hand over 2 grand. Do some web searches, try and find disgruntled customer complaints. Keep in mind, you'll most likely to find some if they're a national company, some of those you gotta read between the lines too. Call up, ask some local car dealers, talk to the service manager at like Honda, BMW, Mazda, see if they've worked with the company and try and get a feel for how the warranty company treat their customers. IF there's a will, there's away. I also wonder if there's an online warranty comparison site rating list somewhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.