Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'll build this Smoke Machine to check for vacuum leaks in my 560SL.
It uses an old Soldering Iron.

What do you guys think?

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,593 Posts
What do I think? I think I posted that in a thread over a month ago. I built it and so did the thread starter? Works great. Try to use 100% cotton.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do I think? I think I posted that in a thread over a month ago. I built it and so did the thread starter? Works great. Try to use 100% cotton.
Rowdie, I value your assessment about this.
Feel good that it will work satisfactory.
Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
how well does it work for chasing down vac leaks? with engine running?...ive been needing something for that for a while

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how well does it work for chasing down vac leaks? with engine running?...ive been needing something for that for a while
I would do the check with the Engine off.
Remove Air Filter and block of the air intake with something like a rubber glove.
Remove vacuum hose to Brake Booster and pump smoke in that end of the hose.
Look for smoke.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should read carefully remove vacuum hose to brake booster. They have been known to break at the white plastic fitting near the middle.
Thanks.
Lots of good advice on this Forum.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could not get the ballpoint pen version of the Smoke Machine to work properly.
It leaked around the the ball point plastic, soldering iron, and the metal top got
so hot it melted the plastic pieces:

BUT, I built a second one using a Paint Can that worked flawlessly:

Hooked it up to my 560SL ... but found no leaks:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Impressive, Carl. When I did my smoke test, it was like my whole engine bay was a big leak! Smoke everywhere. I had four injector seals leaking, and the boot area where it attaches to the butterfly. It was coming out of the egr valve too but I assume that is ok...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also made this smoke machine, but used metal female fittings instead of ball point pen. I also used a small air pump for an aquarium as the air source. It provided constant low pressure and it worked great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts