Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around the forums as I'm considering buying a higher mileage W202. I understand there was some confusion created by MB over transmission fluid changes on 97 (98, too?) models. Are there any other major issues I should look out for or be aware of when I'm shopping around?

·
Registered
1998 c230 170K
1,415 Posts
You should have a shop look at the front and rear suspension, ball joints, control arms, etc. Probably a good change interval for the tranny fluid is 30k perhaps the pumkin' as well. If they are fuzzy about the service records look elsewhere.
The digital CCU module, radio, and instrument panel should be inspected to see for blackend screens or missing digits. Run the a/c and heat with the variable controls to see if there is any unusual noises, may indicate a bad vacuum module.
Check the Cruise control stalk for abnormal play, mirrors (ULO) for leaking and proper operation. Have a look in the trunk to see condition of battery. B

·
Registered
2001 CLK55 AMG, 2002 C32 AMG
1,637 Posts
my star service cd specifies 60k as change interval for tranny fluid, however more frequent couldnt hurt, it just might hurt you wallet more often :p

·
Registered
76 Posts
go to a shop that owns the STAR DIAGNOSIS computer, they attach that to your car and it reads whatever problems you got in the car

@ wiring harness needs to be redone if it's still the original one

@ accelerator accuator

@ in line 6 engine 94-97 needs to replace the head gasket

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just like yours eh? ;)

That one does look quite nice, but I am a lowly mechanically-inclined university student, and it's a little more than I can spend right now. Also, what's up with the climate control? I thought all of the W202s had auto-clim.

P.S.: Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
The C230's had manual climate control... which is partially automatic... it maintains the temperature but everything else you control... I like it... less to go wonky and I like control :D

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG
340 Posts
Just like yours eh? ;)

That one does look quite nice, but I am a lowly mechanically-inclined university student, and it's a little more than I can spend right now. Also, what's up with the climate control? I thought all of the W202s had auto-clim.

P.S.: Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
actually not all of them had manual climate control my 96 c220 has auto climate control and my 96 c280 it all depended on what you wanted to order from the factory. It was less expensive at the time of purchase to order the manual control unit. Most of the ones i have seen that have the manual controls are not fully loaded useually. It also differes from Canada to the US on some models like the heated mirrors for example and block heaters. I think the most ideal w202 to buy if you are not looking to spend more than 6-8k you can find yourself a nice c280 94-97 with an inline and those are full of juice, nice handling and because of the bigger engine you do get a better braking system than the c220 and c230. The most important thing to look for on those cars are the rear diff and the tranny pressure. Brakes are reasonable to replace a 2hr labour max and parts, never really heard of many electrical problems other than the MAF and EGR valve which some times only requires cleaning and they work fine after. Make sure the person you buy the car from has only used synthetic and the recommended is normaly 0w-40 or 5w-40. Also some people may have ignored using premium gas so make sure that it only ran on premium. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, I went and drove a 98 C280 with 150k today and it _looked_ good online, and the seller claimed it was in very good condition (so much so that he was asking 600 more than KBB 'good condition' value). Turns out the car wouldn't start without a jump, the mirror fluid was leaking on inside and outside mirrors, the radio/cd didn't work, some of the windows went down but not up, lots of the wood/plastic had cracks in it -- the car was clearly not well cared for. Given all of that, I was surprised the engine felt and sounded so solid. The car stalled on the test drive, and the guy couldn't jump it back to life anymore, so we had to be picked up... he says it's "all just the battery" and gave me a nice, long story about why the battery went bad. No thanks, I don't buy cars with stories attached ;). I think this takes the cake for my worst used-car buying experience. Pretty comical stuff.

@ClassW202: Are the I6's better/more reliable than the V6s? I know the V6 was a new engine for MB, but I don't know much more than that... (they hadn't even built a V6 before then, right?)

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG
340 Posts
Well, I went and drove a 98 C280 with 150k today and it _looked_ good online, and the seller claimed it was in very good condition (so much so that he was asking 600 more than KBB 'good condition' value). Turns out the car wouldn't start without a jump, the mirror fluid was leaking on inside and outside mirrors, the radio/cd didn't work, some of the windows went down but not up, lots of the wood/plastic had cracks in it -- the car was clearly not well cared for. Given all of that, I was surprised the engine felt and sounded so solid. The car stalled on the test drive, and the guy couldn't jump it back to life anymore, so we had to be picked up... he says it's "all just the battery" and gave me a nice, long story about why the battery went bad. No thanks, I don't buy cars with stories attached ;). I think this takes the cake for my worst used-car buying experience. Pretty comical stuff.

@ClassW202: Are the I6's better/more reliable than the V6s? I know the V6 was a new engine for MB, but I don't know much more than that... (they hadn't even built a V6 before then, right?)
The Inline 6 was discontinued in 1998 and the V6 replaced it. both are great engines but the inline is alot easier to work with and around, the V models seem to be a little more crowded under the hood. Also inline cars are geared different than the V6. The Vs are smoother as a ride than the Inline but you can rev the Inline 6 higher for more torque. Almost every benz mechanic i spoke to have recommended the Inline over the V though. Another difference that you will notice between the inline and V cars is that the Inline cars are equipped with a 4 speed tranny and the V ones have a 5 speed tranny with economy and sport mode. To most people it is a personal prefference but myself i am a bigger fan for the inline even though they only come with 4 speed and V comes with an extra gear, the inline can still hit 240+ kM/h. Oh another thing I am not sure if it is the same on the 2.8L V6, i know on the 3.2L v6 they use a twin spark plug per cylinder (12 spark plugs) and the inlines they used only one per cylinder so it is a less expensive engine to maintain. Good luck with the search :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1996 C36 ///AMG and a 1995 C280 sport
672 Posts
The Inline 6 was discontinued in 1998 and the V6 replaced it. both are great engines but the inline is alot easier to work with and around, the V models seem to be a little more crowded under the hood. Also inline cars are geared different than the V6. The Vs are smoother as a ride than the Inline but you can rev the Inline 6 higher for more torque. Almost every benz mechanic i spoke to have recommended the Inline over the V though. Another difference that you will notice between the inline and V cars is that the Inline cars are equipped with a 4 speed tranny and the V ones have a 5 speed tranny with economy and sport mode. To most people it is a personal prefference but myself i am a bigger fan for the inline even though they only come with 4 speed and V comes with an extra gear, the inline can still hit 240+ kM/h. Oh another thing I am not sure if it is the same on the 2.8L V6, i know on the 3.2L v6 they use a twin spark plug per cylinder (12 spark plugs) and the inlines they used only one per cylinder so it is a less expensive engine to maintain. Good luck with the search :thumbsup:
Hold on there cowboy, the 1997's HAD the Inline-6 engines with the 5-speed Tranny. But the 4-speeds are MUCH better,, BulletProof!

·
Registered
2006 C55 AMG
340 Posts
Hold on there cowboy, the 1997's HAD the Inline-6 engines with the 5-speed Tranny. But the 4-speeds are MUCH better,, BulletProof!
opps, thanx for the correction buddy, I believe that's the first year 97 they came out with the ground effect on it (side skirts front and rear lip more of a sportier look you can say).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts