Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a search and got nothing, so herre it is. I changed my oil (mobil 1)(98 e320 4matic 120k) 2 times ago and there was a film on the back of the oil cap. white, cake batter like crude. So i cleaned it off and changed oil. now 2 weeks (4k miles later) ago I change it again and the back of the cap is about 3 inches thich covered in what looks like pancake batter. there was quite a bit of it, way more than last time, so I clean it off, put some engine flush stuff in and run for 10 minutes then drain and refill with synthetic. I am told this is from water, or condensation getting in the oil, or from a bad gasket. i do sometimes smell antifreeze in the cabin with defroster on, by only rarely. also heard that short trips like my 2 miles to work will cause this. What is going on here ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Something isn't adding up. It's true that short trips are real bad for engine and transmission components. It can produce the symptoms you describe. You say you drive only two miles to work yet you put on 2 thousand miles in a week and did that twice. That figures up to over 100K in a year. If those numbers are correct, there's no way the milky substance is water from condensation. It would have long ago been evaporated assuming your engine is coming up to operating temps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
4maticinmedford, you're not the only one. See this thread:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200886&posts=8&fid=17

E300POS, I think you misunderstood. He said that when he changed his oil 2 weeks ago, it had been 4,000 miles since the previous oil change. He didn't say he put 2,000 miles a week on the car...

·
Registered
262 Posts
4maticinmedford - 3/24/2005 8:11 PM

i did a search and got nothing, so herre it is. I changed my oil (mobil 1)(98 e320 4matic 120k) 2 times ago and there was a film on the back of the oil cap. white, cake batter like crude. So i cleaned it off and changed oil. now 2 weeks (4k miles later) ago I change it again and the back of the cap is about 3 inches thich covered in what looks like pancake batter. there was quite a bit of it, way more than last time, so I clean it off, put some engine flush stuff in and run for 10 minutes then drain and refill with synthetic. I am told this is from water, or condensation getting in the oil, or from a bad gasket. i do sometimes smell antifreeze in the cabin with defroster on, by only rarely. also heard that short trips like my 2 miles to work will cause this. What is going on here ?
OK.....Here's the deal, before I purchased my W210 i was able to personally identify 1 COMMON questionable thing(at least in SEVERAL V6 3.2 engines: 3= E320s & 2=ML320s in a friend's car luxury dealership in OC,Ca ), and that is the Whitish Film on the under side of the Oil Cap!.....To the inexperienced eye this is a clear(almost clear) sign of a Blown Headgasket- ive seen considerable Whitish Oil Film (Oil/water mix) underneath the oil cap!, but according to my own personal mechanic who works in my friend's car dealership this is NORMAL and he has seen a LOT of this in the V6 3.2 Engines which is caused by condensation and is very inherent with the later MB V6 Engine design[:)]......There are several symptoms of a blown head gasket(increased temps, increased H20 reservoir pressure, etc, etc.) and the whitish film of oil under the oil cap alone DOES NOT signify a problem especially for the later MB V6 3.2 engines.....DONT WORRY ITS NOT A BLOWN HEADGASKET NOT UNLESS YOU OVERHEATED THE CAR[:)]

·
Registered
45 Posts
sounds like headgasket to me! watch for white smoke from tail pipe. whatever you do do not drive if this is the case or you will be looking to rebuild or replace motor. I know from experience in a 325I

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
Sounds like the headgasket is toast.

Have a mechanic test carefully, but I think you're there.

Have an extended warranty? This can cost a few bucks...

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1998 E320 4matic
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just checked my oil cap again, a few weeks after my last oil change, and there was a little crude(milky film) on it, not nearly as much as before. I also checked the dipstick and it was only covered in oil and the coolant was full,plus I recently installed a new fan clutch and the temp. never rises out of the middle range.Before I installed the new F.C. the temp. went into the red a few times while idling before I realized the fans weren't actually running, just spinning, but never actually overheated, I wonder if I damaged anything then? So hopefully I am one of the ones who's car just get's a milky oilcap and not a blown headgasket.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i,1999 Lexus 400LS, 2014 e250 BlueTec
635 Posts
If you are not losing coolant, your head gasket is most likely saved. You could feel safe! You would not have damaged anything as long as car did not boil over with overheated engine. Good luck.

Raymond

·
Registered
2001 240 TE
123 Posts
Its not youre headgasket. My to cars are C 240 and E 240 V 6 and they both do this. Let the car stand after driving and check when its cool if its going into a Cafe Latte look its yust condensation from the long oilfiller.

If the oil by any chance is getting white or grey then you have a serious problem.

·
Registered
1998 E320
196 Posts
I'm reopening this thread...
I have the milky substance and have received some good tips from MercedesForum.com My concern is that I am going to do some damage to my engine if I do nothing but from what I am hearing more and more... this is condensation which is normal. My car does take a while to get up to operating temp... could a colder engine cause the condensation more? How big of a job is it to get my thermostat changed? DIY? Help!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Warm engine and cool

weather will show the condition more.
As in my reply in mbf,by your symptoms and clean oil it is just the typical this time of year oil and condensate foam.No worries.
:bowdown:

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,335 Posts
When you say it takes a long time to warm up, how long do you mean? In normal Chicago winters it can easily take 15 minutes to come up to full temp. (182f). Even longer depending on conditions. In any case 3 miles won't do it.
But I have no idea how long it takes the oil to come up to normal temperature.

Once the oil/water emulsifies on the cap you are not going to boil it off no matter how long you drive. It would be like trying to boil the water out of a cowboy roux. So it just keeps accumulating, with the valvetrain wisking up a fresh batch every day.

·
Registered
00 E320 4MATIC
133 Posts
I have heard different story about that milky cream collecting under the oil cap.
The story says that if someone switched oil from synt. to regular that milky cream will shows up under the oil cap. After you back to synt. oil milky cream will disappear at 2nd oil changes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1996 C220 and just checked my recently flushed coolant. I noticed the coolant is a latte color (tan) and almost like--hot chocolate-- in the resevoir. It seems thick and slippery to the touch. My oil is honey color and I always change 3K/3Mo and never lose any oil during intervals. My trans fluid is red and level never varies--flushed 24k/24. Is the coolant condition normal or do I have a problem that need attention? Thanks, Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts