Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Hate to have to say it....but to some: I told ya so.[:p][:p][:p]

I think the doors are too big on a car so small, so it just doesnt look proportional.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
hehe im waiting for it to start to fly away, fly away lil slk n be free![:p]

Needless to say I agree it looks retarded.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
linh - 3/3/2005 1:24 AM

That's ugly. It would like nicer if they use an Slk with AMG body kit or aftermarket body kit like Lorinser, brabus..etc.
I agree with Linh. Not that I am a fan of this type of aftermarket modification even if they did look better than in the picture. In this case the shape of the car is just not condusive to the lambo style doors.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
OK. Now I change my stance. They're not so hot on a stock car. I suspect that when all lowered and customized, they would look quite a bit different.

·
Registered
1998 MB SLK 230
504 Posts
TXmudman - 3/3/2005 3:27 PM

OK. Now I change my stance. They're not so hot on a stock car. I suspect that when all lowered and customized, they would look quite a bit different.
Good point.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Miked619 - 3/3/2005 1:09 AM

hehe im waiting for it to start to fly away, fly away lil slk n be free![:p]

Needless to say I agree it looks retarded.
thats what i thought.. looks like its about to flap the doors and fly!

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I'm not saying I like it, but the pic is just from a bad angle where it makes it look really weird. I'm sure it would look decent in real life. TX, you should try it [:D]Looks pretty good on an R171 though...

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230 Silver
25 Posts
Does look better on the 171 but still reminds me of Sally Field in The Flying Nun.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Ive often thought how cool it would be if the doors opened auto while the roof went back all remote. My car would be a transformer.

--deathy

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
DEATHERAGE - 3/4/2005 12:49 PM

Ive often thought how cool it would be if the doors opened auto while the roof went back all remote. My car would be a transformer.

--deathy
Get some door poppers...not expensive nor overly hard to install...but a cool effect. Only thing is...some of them barely pop the door open a little bit, you want it to fly open haha...and you can keep your regular door handles so in tight parking spaces, etc. it's aight.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At the risk of being chastised by everyone here (I read all the posts in "who's got the biggest wheels on their slk")... I like these doors. In fact, I think I want them. However I only want the direct bolt on kind that I can remove (and put back to stock) in the event I hate them after all is said and done. According to LamboDoors, while the install is reversible, I need to get all the parts myself and drill holes (which I don't want to do). VerticalDoors won't even talk unless there are 10 orders ready and waiting... I went to carhookups site but can't find the slk conversion... does anyone know if it's available? Okay... I'm ready... blast away.[B)]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
MikeyD - 3/15/2005 6:55 PM

At the risk of being chastised by everyone here (I read all the posts in "who's got the biggest wheels on their slk")... I like these doors. In fact, I think I want them. However I only want the direct bolt on kind that I can remove (and put back to stock) in the event I hate them after all is said and done. According to LamboDoors, while the install is reversible, I need to get all the parts myself and drill holes (which I don't want to do). VerticalDoors won't even talk unless there are 10 orders ready and waiting... I went to carhookups site but can't find the slk conversion... does anyone know if it's available? Okay... I'm ready... blast away.[B)]
I'm with you all the way. I suppose that you did check out the ebay ads, right? The seller on there claims bolt-on application.

You know, those wheels you've got are the kind that I was describing in my last post on 'who's got the biggest wheels...' Are those made by Italia? What size are they?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just looked on ebay and found them... thanks. I'm gonna talk with the guy and if he has all the right answers them I'm getting them... I'll post pics when I'm done installing them and get beat up then.[;)]

The wheels are Miglia 18" with Dunlop Sport 9000's. I've noticed at speeds over 90 I tend to get some "float"... not sure what causes it, but after I installed the spoiler it seems (at least to me) that it's not floating as much. However... I never take it over 65... since that would be illegal, so I am only guessing that I would get float over 90.[:I]

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
MikeyD --
I think that I want your boats more than your wheels. Nice collection.
That wheel float problem, did you notice it with the stock 16" wheels?
If you get the vertical door kit, you'll be the first who actually went through with the deed on this forum. I believe that a bunch of us are cheering you on!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks... I like playing with my toys. [:D] I don't get any float at all with the stock wheels. And I run them quite a bit as I put the stocks on from October through March, just in case we get a decent day in the winter (don't want the NJ road salt mucking up the wheels). With the stock wheels - no float... 18's - float... nothing I can't live with and in fact, gives it more of a sports car feel. [8D]
As far as the lambo's go... I got the instructions from the guy on ebay. You need to first remove the front fenders. Then remove the stock hinges and potentially flatten out the hinge mounts (with a ballpeen) on the inner body (if they're raised). The kicker though is that the fender may need to be "cut or rolled" where the mechanism arm rides upwards. That's what I'm struggling with. Cut is a definite No-No. Rolled... maybe... if I knew what the hell that meant and how one would do that. I think I'm gonna order the conversion/installation kit directly from Lambo ($60 w/shipping) since it contains step-by-step instructions... although it doesn't come with any parts, they say the parts are readily available for under $200. I'll keep ya posted on my research.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
493 Posts
You can see the fender rolling tool at www.eastwoodco.com. I've never used one. I think they're less than $300.

Do let us know how this turns out!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I ordered/received the instruction kit/cd from lambodoors dot com. It's basically a word document, with pictures, on a CD. Certainly not worth the $50 I spent, considering I got pretty much the same info from free sources. It's also not specific to the SLK... it's based on an Eclipse installation but I guess they feel the generic principals are fine. They recommend welding the hinges on and there are issues depending whether you use Ford econoline hinges or other stuff "easily found at your local salvage yard" as some hinges will allow out-then-up while others will only allow straight-up which has additional issues depending how "square" the doors are. Finally rolling the fenders means that you need to bend the inner fender - where it extends into the door jamb - back against the inside of the outer fender wall. This will leave an open area that the piston can ride through between the fender and the frame wall... so basically, when you look at the area where the current hinges mount to the frame (inner door jamb) where the fender metal used to be... it will be open. Open so much that you might be able to see the back of the headlight while sitting in the car with the door open (a bit exaggerated, but you get the picture). So unless verticaldoors dot com develops direct bolt-ons for the SLK... I'm not hacking up my car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts