Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
are you losing coolant? why are you asking about the thermostat? you usually never lose coolant through the thermostat.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
it could be going into the engine. you would see that in the smoke if it is excessive.

however, when it got cold here i noticed a little coolant leak through my water pump back plate screws. check that area. it will seep down and dry up pretty fast. you'll hardly notice unless you are an anal bastard like me.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put a coolant before I went on a hour road trip. It started to ask for coolant around 100 miles. When I am driving I hear like liquid moving in the dashboard area. I am not getting any smoke. But the car needle is going up high ugh

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Check your carpets for damp both drivers and passengers side as the heater matrix may be leaking.

·
Registered
95 C280, 89 300E, 94' E320 Coupe, 91' 560SEC
1,095 Posts
i lost coolant also because of the Thermostat too. What happened is that the radiator cap was bad (Rubber was cracked and was not pressurizing correctly) Next the thermostat was to blame as it had seized to the closed position and the fluid was so hot it was boiling to the overflow tank and it was so much that it had leak out. 20min and some $20 later I was filled with German Glee as my car was back at the magic 87 Degrees. When i drove I heard a gurgle noise in the dashboard noise sometimes or especially at stopped lights

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
yeah, the thermostat is very easy to replace, let alone the radiator cap. It sits on top of the water pump. Three screws hold down the cover. Pull the cover off and remove the old gasket/o-ring. clean any gunk that may gotten inside. replace thermostat and install new gasket/o-ring. bolt down and give it a try.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
if its that then its your pump, the themostat may have had a play in this... I just replaced my pump last week the thermostat last spring. Mine went at 193K. essentially right behind the pump like five inches below is a base measuring maybe 3x5. if there is fluid there, then your pump seal is bad and the pump may have to be replaced. Replacing it straight forward, doing it in the winter temps however, yeah good luck with that. my pump cost me about 176(does not come with thermostat or housing). Had to remove the belt, fan shroud, fan clutch to get good ease of access. after taking the hoses off(will get messy as fluid will come out) four bolts (allen Key i believe) and a tug later it's off.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,593 Posts
When you do a water pump replacement see if you can take lots of DIY pics and post them here. You will be loved, atleast by me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts