Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Welcome!

Thanks for the pictures and welcome to BenzWorld's M-Class family, the largest M-Class community on the net. From the pictures, it looks like you'll fit right in very nicely [:)]

·
Registered
'99 ML320, '83 240D
113 Posts
Hi, and welcome to Benzworld!

Its always nice to meet others who enjoy "off roading in style." If you don't mind, please give us more info on your ML (MY, mods, etc).

Mine is a '99 ML320. Mods include: Manik Brush Guard, Hella 500 foglights, and 265/75-16 BFG All-Terrains.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Welcome to it !! I'm glad to see another off-roader. Your truck looks good.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
Welcome to the board. I myself offroad a lot on my ML.

I'm a modest guy with no ego at all and don't like to bragg a lot. The first time I went off roading was really great, through my kitchen window as the ML sat in the garage. The snow was very good to look at so I decided to have a beer and stay in!!! Why bother???

Then I got really serious and boy was it tough - I actually almost had my paint scratched as I went extremely close to the woods!!! I mean the bike's paint!!!Just pretend the home in the background isn't there

As if I hadn't had enough, I got even more daring and here's one of the most tedious and engaging offroading I've done to date (and I know there's no one out there who can beat this!!!), other than rolling very slowly over snow flakes on my driveway. The trees do look nice though, don't you think??

Welcome, you'll love the board.

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
Welcome ! What part of the world are you from?

Our ranks are growing!

I think we represent the "state of the art" as far as exploring the ML's capabilities offroad.

Check out Wolfgang's ML site: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/

Also Harold P: http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_Mojave_Road2.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your ML is looking great. I'd love to know what size tires you are runnings. I'm personally looking to do a Plus size upgrade but I still have another 20k miles to go before my current tires are shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the warm welcome, and Darkmann, nice story!

I'm currently living in the Northern California area, and my ML is a 1999 320. I've had it most of it's life (since early 2000), and have been searching for good suspension lift kits since then. I've seen the 2 out there (Extrem and ORC) and the Extrem seems like the better setup - no offense to anyone [:)]. I'd love to mill some new swingarms myself, and then fit coils/shocks to them. And then widen the track with different rims.

I'm running the BFG AT / KO, 265/75 R16 (so basically 32"), and have jacked the torsion bars up front to level the ML. I've got the WAAG brush guard with Hella lights, Hella dual-tone horns, interior hard-wired map light (not the dome - this is better for night visibility), all weather mats & cargo liner (a godsend), racks up top, a full size spare anchored in the back, towing paraphernalia, etc.

Hey Benz4Dirt&Sky, 2 questions on your setup: were you really able to get a coil-spring/shock combo out of Extrem? And do you like the winch you have - got a pic of it somewhere?

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
honscher - 3/30/2005 11:14 PM

I'm currently living in the Northern California area, and my ML is a 1999 320. I've had it most of it's life (since early 2000), and have been searching for good suspension lift kits since then. I've seen the 2 out there (Extrem and ORC) and the Extrem seems like the better setup - no offense to anyone [:)]. I'd love to mill some new swingarms myself, and then fit coils/shocks to them. And then widen the track with different rims.

I'm running the BFG AT / KO, 265/75 R16 (so basically 32"), and have jacked the torsion bars up front to level the ML. I've got the WAAG brush guard with Hella lights, Hella dual-tone horns, interior hard-wired map light (not the dome - this is better for night visibility), all weather mats & cargo liner (a godsend), racks up top, a full size spare anchored in the back, towing paraphernalia, etc.

Hey Benz4Dirt&Sky, 2 questions on your setup: were you really able to get a coil-spring/shock combo out of Extrem? And do you like the winch you have - got a pic of it somewhere?
I believe he has the exact lift I do .. it is from ORC. EXTREM never answered even after 4 e-mails inquiring about purchasing their kit. Here are a few pics after my lift, but before my larger 33" tires.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203351&posts=21&hl=Lift+Kit

33" tire pics here:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1203424&posts=23&hl=Lift+Kit

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have any profile shots of your ride? I turned my torsion bars up approx. 1" from the orig setting. I measured from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender.

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
All your ML's look like as it was originally designed in the Jurassic Park version.

Frankly it was that movie that got me to buy the ML waay back in Feb 1999.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
What I dont understand is why they would have those bars over the windows, but then have a glass roof where the T-Rex breaks through.

I just need a winch up front and I'll be ready to go T-Rex hunting in Costa Rica. Since I have really dark tint the T-Rexes wont be able to see me and will just keep moving. LMAO.

Why didnt they think of that ??? TINT THE WINDOWS BEFORE YOU LOOK FOR DINOSAURS PEOPLE !!!

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
honscher - 3/30/2005 11:14 PM

No. My lift is the ORC plate/riser bolt deal with stock shocks and springs. Extrem EOL'd their kit and the shocks were discontinued. there may be equivalent shocks, but I have not found a need to change them out or even replace the rear springs with the stiffer factory springs that came with the rear tire carrier kit from the factory. (Non-US)

My winch is the WARN 8000i on a multimount that mounts in the receiver in the rear. I can't install the front receiver with my skidplates in the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
MLOffRoad - 3/31/2005 2:35 PM

What I dont understand is why they would have those bars over the windows, but then have a glass roof where the T-Rex breaks through.

I just need a winch up front and I'll be ready to go T-Rex hunting in Costa Rica. Since I have really dark tint the T-Rexes wont be able to see me and will just keep moving. LMAO.

Why didnt they think of that ??? TINT THE WINDOWS BEFORE YOU LOOK FOR DINOSAURS PEOPLE !!!
T-REX 4x4 is my license plate!

T-REX is sad because he has to stay outside until I sell one of our cars...

Attachments

·
Registered
ML430/ SL500 SA
1,009 Posts
99rhino - 3/31/2005 12:25 PM

Do you have any profile shots of your ride? I turned my torsion bars up approx. 1" from the orig setting. I measured from the center of the wheel to the top of the fender.
On the subject of side profiles....

MLOffroad has forced me to save my nickels for a set of 33 inch MUD Terrains.

MOOHOOHAHA!!!!

[}:)]

It's all your fault, MLoffroad. You may get hate-PMs from my wife because of this.

[:D]

Attachments

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/31/2005 6:20 PM

T-REX 4x4 is my license plate!

T-REX is sad because he has to stay outside until I sell one of our cars...
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT.
THAT IS THE COOLEST PLATE I HAVE SEEN

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Benz4Dirt&Sky - 3/31/2005 6:32 PM

99rhino - 3/31/2005 12:25 PM

On the subject of side profiles....

MLOffroad has forced me to save my nickels for a set of 33 inch MUD Terrains.

MOOHOOHAHA!!!!

[}:)]

It's all your fault, MLoffroad. You may get hate-PMs from my wife because of this.

[:D]
VERY NICE !!! I cant wait to see how they look on your truck. I guess this means I'm going to have to get those 33" - 34" Super Swampers put on my stock 16 inchers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts