Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the engine today, as well as the front sub-frame, and steering box. I cut the front of the car off to gain better access to the steering box so I guess that was pretty much the point of no return. While I was at it I cut the front bumper frame off. It is slightly different than the Euro-model. There is more support for the bumper pistons.

Special thanks to Johnhef for the use of the engine hoist.

By the way, I don't intend to use the M117 4.5 so if any one is interested in it let me know.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What, were you mad at the or or something?
Nope. I picked up the car for $600; although it was salvageable. But I've already saved way more than that much in donor parts for the Euro 280SL (R107) you see in the garage behind it. Soon I'll start cutting out the floor panels and the rear quarter panels. I'll weld those in on the restoration project over the Winter. I'll haul whatever is left to the scrap yard in the back of the minivan.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is one from the other side (it has to deal with the steering box):

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,083 Posts
Good picture of the steering box adjustment.... for those who have trouble locating it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, how are you going to get rid of the carcass?
Probably cut it up and haul it off to a scrap yard in the back of the minivan. The reciprocating saw cut through it like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
60 Posts
great pictures

Thanks for the great pictures: now I have a better idea of how can eliminate the cats, and where to look for hidden rust which I am sure my car have plenty of.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the great pictures: now I have a better idea of how can eliminate the cats, and where to look for hidden rust which I am sure my car have plenty of.
The worst spot for previously undetected rust was under the brake booster. Leaves collect there and keep the area nice and soggy. I was kind of surprised at how much rust developed there compared to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
parts wanted

Hi,
I'm looking for some parts. What I looking for are the two chrome strips on the bottom of the hardtop that run from the door to the back window. They are about 28" long with a curve near the back window. I need both left and right side. Also I need the chrome strip on the outside of the drivers door next to the window. It is about 36" long. If you have these parts and would like to sell them please e-mail me.
Thanks - jerry - Edgewood, Washington - [email protected]

·
Registered
202 Posts
parts wanted

Hi,
I'm looking for the chrome strips on the bottom of the hard top that run from the door around to the rear window. They are about 28" long and have a curve in the back. I need both the left and the right side. Also I'm looking for the chrome strip on the out side of the drivers door just next to the window. It is about 36" long. If you have these and they are in good condition and would like to sell them please e-mail me directly.
Thanks,
[email protected]

Edgewood, Washington 98371

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Hi,
I'm looking for the chrome strips on the bottom of the hard top that run from the door around to the rear window. They are about 28" long and have a curve in the back. I need both the left and the right side. Also I'm looking for the chrome strip on the out side of the drivers door just next to the window. It is about 36" long. If you have these and they are in good condition and would like to sell them please e-mail me directly.
Thanks,
[email protected]

Edgewood, Washington 98371
These hardtop pieces are extremely difficult to find in nice condition. I bought a hardtop with those pieces in "excellent condition" and drove about 400 miles round trip to get it, to discover the front ends smashed (and the back glass delaminating, but that's another story). Ironically, you can get a lot of hardtops for less than the price of just a few new parts for it. There are a lot more 107 hardtops then there are 107's. Unfortunately, you will find that it's almost impossible to get the parts that you need from it in excellent condition. If a hardtop isn't on a stand, those parts WILL (WILL) be splayed outward or the front tips smashed and/or bent. (I hope you have a stand.)

Then, I was ripped off by a seller whose description of "perfect" was both front ends smashed, and then claimed that the parts were sold "as is" (he sold them to me on another board, and then when I threatened him with posting pictures of my fine purchases, tried to sell the rest on eBay). A new set goes for >3 bills. I got so mad blowing the money on the used set that I actually took my bad pair, the "new" bad pair, and through some fairly delicate polishing, cutting, and grinding, mounted the combined pieces on the car to the point where they look new but have a small seam in them about 5" back from the side windows that no other 107 has!

BOTTOM LINE: If you actually find these or find a hardtop in good condition with these, GET DETAILED PICTURES FIRST!!!! and get a return policy if you pay more than $25.00/set. I paid 50% of new price for garbage.

I should mention that the hardtop in this post (at least on the driver's side) looks like the front may be a little wrinkled, but not as bad as any of mine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The worst spot for previously undetected rust was under the brake booster. Leaves collect there and keep the area nice and soggy. I was kind of surprised at how much rust developed there compared to the rest of the car.

thanks for the pictures, I just checked and I was for once lucky...no rust there ;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts