Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fox is reporting there was huge explosion at a large oil refinery in Big Springs Texas in the last hour...............

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
You know, on the way in to work, I saw the guy at QT raising the price of every grade by $0.10...this was at 8:00am. I wonder when, exactly, the explosion happened.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^Coincidence? I think not............CNN is still not reporting it yet at least over here

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Refinery explosion reported at Big Spring

Police and firefighters in Big Spring are responding to an explosion at a refinery east of town, a dispatcher said.

When asked if there was anyone dead or injured, the dispatcher responded, "We're not sure right now."

The explosion was reported at 8 a.m. at the Alon USA refinery, near the intersection of East Interstate 20 and Refinery Road in Big Spring. Residents reported feeling a large blast.

A crew from Midland-Odessa television Channel 9 reported seeing flames and a huge plume of smoke rising from the facility that sits just off Interstate 20 in the Howard County city.

Odessa television station KOSA reported that the blast could be felt as far away as Gardendale, Greenwood and Northeast Midland.

The station reported that I-20 has been shut down and that nearby Howard College has been evacuated. KOSA also reported that medical teams from across West Texas, including CareStar air ambulance service, are on the way to assist at the refinery. Residents who live within a mile of the refinery are being asked to evacuate, KOSA reported. It is a voluntary evacuation, the station reported.

The Associated Press also reported that it was unclear whether there were injuries at the refinery owned by Dallas-based Alon USA, which employs about 170 people and produces about 70,000 barrels a day.

"All I know is that it blew up," said the dispatcher, who declined to give her name. John Moseley, managing editor of the Big Spring Herald, told the AP that he heard the blast and said, "I thought it would knock the walls down."

Blake Lewis, a spokesman for Alon USA, told the Associated Press that the company had an unconfirmed report of an incident but did not know any details. He said a plant manager was on the way to the plant.

Big Spring is about 250 miles west of Fort Worth.

Star-Telegram.com: | 02/18/2008 | Refinery explosion reported at Big Spring

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
Unbelievable. Almost like they knew it was going to happen. Gas prices had been fairly stable for the past few weeks.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think that baby will be firing up anytime soon from what I saw on FOX of the mushroom cloud I saw above the refinery..........

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
What many don't understand is that the refinery capacity in this country is stressed to the max. It is a miracle that there hasn't been any more accidents than this. When a refinery runs at 95%+ capacity all the time, you can bet safety takes a back seat to production.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, on the way in to work, I saw the guy at QT raising the price of every grade by $0.10...this was at 8:00am. I wonder when, exactly, the explosion happened.

Timeline just aobut matches if what FOX is saying is true, they are reporting on the fly so this is suspect but they just said it blew up at daybreak...........

·
Registered
36,850 Posts
Halliburton did it.

·
66,894 Posts
I paid $3.259 a gallon at 10:00 AM today. Last night that same gas station had the price at $3.119
hmmm

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Small refinery, 70,000 brls a day. Halliburton did it.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look.. a butterfly is flapping its wings.

This butterfly stil fills his Merc with Shell 95 octane unleaded for USD 2.67 a gallon and Shell imports all of it's gas from the refinery in Singapore........

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
What many don't understand is that the refinery capacity in this country is stressed to the max. It is a miracle that there hasn't been any more accidents than this. When a refinery runs at 95%+ capacity all the time, you can bet safety takes a back seat to production.
Good point, there's no excess capacity to pull from. It is a shame that the enviros have a strangle-hold on refinery building. Price increases come quickly because retailers try to sell at the replacement cost of inventory.

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Of course, it would never occur to you geniuses that the solution would be to stop using gasoline as a motor fuel, would it? The only solution the right has is more of the same, more environmental degradation, more drilling, more burning, more pollution. Here's my solution: tax the shit out of it while giving tax breaks to anything that will discourage or replace it's consumption. That'll take care of your refinery capacity problem, and do something about our dependence on the Middle East, pronto.

·
Registered
19,471 Posts
Of course, it would never occur to you geniuses that the solution would be to stop using gasoline as a motor fuel, would it? The only solution the right has is more of the same, more environmental degradation, more drilling, more burning, more pollution. Here's my solution: tax the shit out of it while giving tax breaks to anything that will discourage or replace it's consumption. That'll take care of your refinery capacity problem, and do something about our dependence on the Middle East, pronto.

How do you commute to work? With an electric car by chance?
The lefts solution, more taxes.

Let the people choose!!

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
And your solution is to conserve, conserve, conserve and tax and tax and tax while the population grows, and grows and grows? For someone who's supposed to be for the 'regular guy', your solutions show otherwise. What do you have to say about the poor sot that has a wife and 2 kids while bringing in barely enough to make the bills and then president FTL raises his fuel taxes while telling him that he needs to buy another car that is 'greener' and gets better mileage, a move he clearly cannot afford.

I'm for a balance. Build the damned refineries but continue to require increased mileage on vehicles sold. The new refineries will at least take some pressure off the already overworked refineries in place and as people eventually replace their rusted out guzzlers for newer models, it will level off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts