How are these dimmable?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
W124
5,014 Posts
How are these dimmable?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
I had the same question. Would be cool if they were dimmable. These old eyes need all the help they can get but I don't want a glaring instrument cluster sapping my night vision.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha!
That is a great question..................I don't know.
I always drive with the dash at its brightest setting. They were not offensive to me as to make me want to dim the dash when I cruised last night.
I will check tonight and report back.

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Cabrio
193 Posts
thats so funny...prior to my 95 Cabrio I had a 14 Jetta preceded by an 06 Durango, and one of the things I love most is how pleasantly illuminated, yet unobtrusive the W124 cockpit is at night. The orange backlighting on all the buttons, and the warm halogen over the instrument cluster is so pleasing, and keeps the car from being a distraction to the road. Not a single LED or LCD pixel in sight.

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,100 Posts
The resistance range of the rheostat that dims the bulbs was chosen based the the current drawn by the original incandescent instrument lights. Because the LEDs should draw less current, I think you will find that you will now have limited to no dimming range with the LEDs. I think you will also find that none of the other backlights in the car will dim much either.

A proper valued shunt resistor connected in parallel with the LEDs should restore the proper dimming range. This could easily be connected where the instrument bulb feed connects to the buffer amplifier that drives the rest of the interior backlight illumination.

·
Premium Member
2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,100 Posts
The bulbs dim all the way down until dash is black. I drive at the brightest setting. Dash is nice and white, gone is that orange hue.
I am surprised, but nice!

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
503 Posts
Andy, Tomas7 included this in his post:

"superbrightleds.com
Type 194-CW3HP in the search box and they'll come right up. They're $2.95 a piece and you'll only need two."

FWIW, I ordered my 107's brake, and third brake LEDs from "Super Bright LEDs". I was (am) very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
W124
5,014 Posts
Andy, Tomas7 included this in his post:

"superbrightleds.com
Type 194-CW3HP in the search box and they'll come right up. They're $2.95 a piece and you'll only need two."

FWIW, I ordered my 107's brake, and third brake LEDs from "Super Bright LEDs". I was (am) very happy with the purchase.
Thanks. Out of the multiple color choices which did you choose? (blue, natural, etc)?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just got some cool whites also.......I've actually never seen my interior lights normally or with LED's......they've all been out since I bought the car recently, going to put in a new rheostat here shortly to hopefully fix the problem and will try the stock lights first I guess.....I've also seen where the standard lights can get hot after a while and even melt part of the housing so LEDs would be better in that regard, less heat

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,332 Posts
I just got some cool whites also.......I've actually never seen my interior lights normally or with LED's......they've all been out since I bought the car recently, going to put in a new rheostat here shortly to hopefully fix the problem and will try the stock lights first I guess.....I've also seen where the standard lights can get hot after a while and even melt part of the housing so LEDs would be better in that regard, less heat
The proper stock bulb shouldn't melt anything. What I usually see in that scenario is a bulb of higher value that produces more heat than the stock bulb. Usually bought at a box store because they couldn't find a bulb of the proper value.

Kevin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just put in a new rheostat and there are guages in my instrument cluster now too! haha.....it's really nice to have working guage lights and all the other periphery lights as well, I was literally in the dark; the new rheostat fixed them all. I just decided to go with the stock bulbs for now. One thing I noticed when pulling out the instrument cluster is that on my '93 400E, there is no speedo cable. I was looking for it under the floormat at the base of the steering column to unclip it to give some slack to pull the cluster out but I couldn't find it there. I went ahead and pulled the cluster and there was no speedo cable screwed into the back of my cluster so I guess mine is electronic or something.....

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,332 Posts
Yep, you fly by wire.......

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts