Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago I fished out the tool kit from the back of the car, and was dismayed that the PO had never done the same, it seemed, as it had gotten wet at some point and the tools were quite rusty. I spent some time with steel wool and elbow grease to get off most of it. It looks like there's still quite a bit on, especially where the plating has come off.

Any suggestions on a (somewhat) non-toxic product to get the remaining rust off without further stripping the plating (or my skin)?

Also, the pliers are completely seized. I've soaked them in WD-40, worked them over with screwdrivers, vice-grips and a hammer and only got them to open by 3mm. Any ideas?

For those curious, the contents of the kit (which was rotting and had to be binned) were:
  • tire iron (17 -- 120 581 0246 Heyco]
  • bendable spark-plug tool (21 -- 107 581 0067 Heyco)
  • spanner 8/10 (Matador DIN 895)
  • spanner 11/13 (Matador DIN 895)
  • spanner 14/17 (Heyco DIN895)
  • spanner 17/19 (Unior DIN 895)
  • extender for spark-plug tool (no markings)
  • handle for spark-plug/extender (no markings)
  • screwdriver insert, 2x flat-head (markings obscured)
  • screwdriver insert, 2x Phillips (markings obscured
  • screwdriver handle
  • pliers (Hapewe) (completely seized)
Also found these two things. The hex driver on the left has a standard socket connector, and is marked "14mm SK 41414 USA" so I doubt it was part of the original kit. The flat thing on the right is... no idea. Gap tool for the plugs maybe? Looks like a spacer maybe...

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,568 Posts
Looks like you answered my question about whether I had a complete kit or not. I too thought that my tool set was beyond repair, but used PB Blaster, and had to put one side of my pliers in the vice grip, and put a pipe wrench on the other handle. I was a little worried that the pliers were going to break before getting them to move. Yes, they were that rusted shut. I had to work the 18" pipe wrench back and forth probably 50 times before I could finish working them back and forth by hand.

My screwdriver was also seized shut. I think I just used two pair of pliers on the item. I think the small flat head end was chipped. I reshaped it on my grinding wheel.

The bar that can slide into the spark plug tool bar was also rusty enough that it wouldn't slide through. I even worked that out.

I considered the idea of replacing my tools, but figured... tools are meant to be used, not show pieces. I used my tools tonight to put the license plate on my car in the DMV parking lot. They are good to have regardless of the condition. Those tools are there because they apparently work on most nuts & bolts on the car. They are the first tools I go to now when working on the car. I don't have spanners those sizes in my toolbox, and not ones that short that can be used in tight places, like replacing brake hoses. Why toss them when they aren't causing any problems? Don't be shy with them. Use them. If they break while trying to use or repair them, then they probably were beyond repair. Replace them.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,659 Posts
The 14mm Allen driver was no doubt left by someone in the past- Not a part of the tool kit. The other piece is a shim or spacer for something. Looks a bit like the ones that fit between the locking eye (door catch) and the door jamb.

The best way to clean the rust from the tools would be to sand or bead blast them where needed. A little silver paint will help prevent them from re-rusting. Not worth replating or anything like that. You can always find them on ebay, or frequently your local indie will probably have a collection of them hanging around. Replace the pliers, or keep working them back and forth if you're like me and just have to ressurect them!

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Mine came with a wheel mounting pin. Great backsaver if you ever have to change a tire.

·
Premium Member
1984 380SL, 1973 450SLC
2,174 Posts
The 14mm allen socket is used for your oil sump drain plug, and also the drain and fill plugs on the differential...

I do have the tool kit with the car, but have never used any of them... they aren't the best quality tools, but in a pinch, it's nice to know thier there....:)

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
The only tool worth using in the kit is the spark plug tools, it makes it much easier to get the plugs in correctly. I even used it on my pickup. All the other tools are junk like the Rockcrusher said. I have the complete set and I've only ever used the spark plug wrench.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,356 Posts
The wheel mounting pin is not part of the kit but sure comes in handy.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,568 Posts
I use them all the time. So screw you guys! :) I guess my regular tools all suck! Or I've got the best darned set of MB tools ever made!

I wants me one of them there mountain pins. ;-)

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
Was playing around on EPC and saw part A1264030074 "Wheel Mounting Pin" which looks suspiciously like the the one mentioned. I've no idea where that diagram is implying it's hidden, mind.
View attachment 346020
Mine fits in a foam tube, and is stored in one of the lug holes of the spare wheel...

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,104 Posts
Was playing around on EPC and saw part A1264030074 "Wheel Mounting Pin" which looks suspiciously like the the one mentioned. I've no idea where that diagram is implying it's hidden, mind.
View attachment 346020
That be it. Would be real easy to make. A M12x1.5 bolt in the correct length would do it. Cut the head off with a hacksaw or whatever. Here's more info from the w210 forum starting at #23.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1427925-what-were-they-thinking-3.html

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts