Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

641 - 660 of 664 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #641
Not a whole hell of a lot done, just sitting around waiting for parts. Today my main terminals came in and were mounted. Tomorrow I expect the flat panels for the fuse box and the Base module mount. With the base module installed I can start the installation of the main wire harness.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #642
Parts came in all fabrication and painting is now complete. Paint will dry tonight and I can start assembly in the AM. Hopefully wire harness installation can begin on Saturday. Pictures are of new copper buss bar installed and paint drying.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
Parts came in all fabrication and painting is now complete. Paint will dry tonight and I can start assembly in the AM. Hopefully wire harness installation can begin on Saturday. Pictures are of new copper buss bar installed and paint drying.
I realize if no picture it didn't happen.... but pictures of paint drying? How do we know the paint wasn't already dry when you took the picture? 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #644
Well the paint is dry now. Fuse block is complete assembled and fitted to Samson. Base module also complete and installed. Believe it or not that last picture shows the base module installed in Samson. Now if I can get a helper tomorrow, I can start to feed the 18' long Anaconda of a wire harness back into the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
Well the paint is dry now. Fuse block is complete assembled and fitted to Samson. Base module also complete and installed. Believe it or not that last picture shows the base module installed in Samson. Now if I can get a helper tomorrow, I can start to feed the 18' long Anaconda of a wire harness back into the car.
You do amazing work.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #646
First 10 ft of harness installation went as expected. The first 10 ft goes through the right side fire wall, along the right side fender and then along the radiator support to the left side head light. At his time those wires are in place but still cant be tied down until I get the fuse box mounted. Mounting the fuse box will be the most difficult part. The wires are very crowded in that area and several harnesses converge. Figuring which harness goes on top of which is the key to the puzzle. Once the fuse box is installed I expect the rest of the job to go smooth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #647
Well yesterday I installed 10 ft of wire harness. Today I installed 1 ft. It was a big one foot. The fuse box area. My goal was to get the fuse box installed today and I made the goal at 2:40AM. Car still looks like the same mess but I knew that would be the hardest part. Tomorrow will be checking and cleaning up as well as a bunch of other little wires that need to be installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,892 Posts
Hi John :)

...there's this saying "patience is a virtue" ... you are the epitome (y)

best regards

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #649
Hi John :)

...there's this saying "patience is a virtue" ... you are the epitome (y)

best regards
Thanks Chicky

Yesterday and today I did nothing. Yesterday was 84°F beautiful sunny day so I took Delilah out for a couple of top down spins. Then came home with a 6 pack of Corona and sat by the fire with my beautiful wife Bernadette. Today 82° nice sunny day, I took my wife out for a top down drive probably another fire tonight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
Thanks Chicky

Yesterday and today I did nothing. Yesterday was 84°F beautiful sunny day so I took Delilah out for a couple of top down spins. Then came home with a 6 pack of Corona and sat by the fire with my beautiful wife Bernadette. Today 82° nice sunny day, I took my wife out for a top down drive probably another fire tonight.
I've got a Chiminea and we lit a fire and wet our whistles the last 2 nights as well. Life is good.
hampton-bay-outdoor-fireplaces-fp51186d-64_1000.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Been hard at work the last few days. Now I have 1 wire to connect. Need to remove the belt from the engine and bypass the transmission cooling lines and then I can attempt to start the car. What could go wrong?

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
Good news. It starts and run's. I didn't even have to charge the battery. Now I have to clean this mess.
The proverbial 10 lbs of shiot in a 5 lb bag. What are you going to do with all that wire?

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
The proverbial 10 lbs of shiot in a 5 lb bag. What are you going to do with all that wire?
All that wire you see there is all 107 wire. Pretty much the same pile is in your car. The 129 wiring is all tucked away nicely and you cant see any of it in that picture, but its just as much. There is an earlier photo of me with the 129 harness wrapped around me just before I originally installed it. So Samson has wires times 2. Thank god I didn't have to mess with the 129 harness.

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
For today I started to put the car back together. Headlights are now in. All wiring under the hood is in its final position. All cooling components are now back in place except the radiator. I have to wait until Wednesday for a new fan to come in. Tomorrow I really start to run the wires in there permanent location across the dash.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
For today I started to put the car back together. Headlights are now in. All wiring under the hood is in its final position. All cooling components are now back in place except the radiator. I have to wait until Wednesday for a new fan to come in. Tomorrow I really start to run the wires in there permanent location across the dash.
Go to bed. I thought I was the only crazy one working on 107's past midnight.

·
Registered
They breed in my driveway.
1,092 Posts
Depends where you are in the world... It's always past midnight somewhere...

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #659
Ran the wires across the dash then came up with a small issue that I will need to deal with tomorrow. Apparently with this wiring I know exactly where I am going, I just don't know how to get there. I started to permanently install the harness across the dash. I got up to the ignition switch and something didn't look right. Apparently the part of the harness shown in the picture is supposed to go under the brake pedal support. Its not too bad. It means I will have to un-string the last 6 ft or so of harness on the left fender and pass it back through the fire wall and restring it back under the brake pedal support and re string. But I am making progress. Complete up to the ignition switch. Ignition switch is now installed and it starts with the key.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
Ran the wires across the dash then came up with a small issue that I will need to deal with tomorrow. Apparently with this wiring I know exactly where I am going, I just don't know how to get there. I started to permanently install the harness across the dash. I got up to the ignition switch and something didn't look right. Apparently the part of the harness shown in the picture is supposed to go under the brake pedal support. Its not too bad. It means I will have to un-string the last 6 ft or so of harness on the left fender and pass it back through the fire wall and restring it back under the brake pedal support and re string. But I am making progress. Complete up to the ignition switch. Ignition switch is now installed and it starts with the key.
I used to have your get up and go, but my get up and go got up and went. So now I'm content just following your progress. (y)

641 - 660 of 664 Posts