Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

621 - 640 of 663 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #621 (Edited)
Hi John :)

In your post, you mentioned "In the mean time I got come shrink tube labeling tape for my labeling machine and will start labeling all the connections at the fuse box and everywhere else.", may I request you for pictures of said labeling tape and machine? Can you post pictures of where and how you attached the labels?

Also, in your last picture posted, are those the "labels" in the background?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards and keep safe
The label machine is a K-Sun Bee3+ which is NLA, but I believe Epson bought them out and now makes a similar machine.

The first picture is of the labels I made. It was actually 1 long label with spaces in between the numbers that I cut into separate numbers. The second picture shows the labels installed on the fuse box.

I will get pictures of the machine and tape later.

Added the pictures of the label machine and the label cartridges.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
5,789 Posts
The label machine is a K-Sun Bee3+ which is NLA, but I believe Epson bought them out and now makes a similar machine.

The first picture is of the labels I made. It was actually 1 long label with spaces in between the numbers that I cut into separate numbers. The second picture shows the labels installed on the fuse box.

[/Quote

I have a Dymo label maker that does the same and I know Brother makes similar ones. You get them at stationery stores.
Edit: My bad !!! I don't have a labeller that does shrink tube !!

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Whatever you get, Check the sizes of shrink tube available for it and make sure you will be covered. I had to go for the more expensive Bee3+ instead of the plain Bee3 to get the size labels I needed. Also one that will talk to your computer is also good because to change font size and stuff like that requires breaking out the manual.

·
Registered
1987 300SL
300 Posts
Whatever you get, Check the sizes of shrink tube available for it and make sure you will be covered. I had to go for the more expensive Bee3+ instead of the plain Bee3 to get the size labels I needed. Also one that will talk to your computer is also good because to change font size and stuff like that requires breaking out the manual.
I have a Brother labeler, but did not know some label makers do shrink tubing. Brilliant idea!

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
I have a Brother labeler, but did not know some label makers do shrink tubing. Brilliant idea!
Check it out, Your Brother labeler might have shrink tube cartridges available.

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
Harness overhaul is coming along, I still need to remove 2 more wires and fix one damaged wire. Then I can start the full wrapping. Not sure if I'm going to have enough tape. Its going fast.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,892 Posts

Added the pictures of the label machine and the label cartridges.
Thank you John :) for the pictures. I have a similar labeling machine. I'll try to do similar labels and see the results. Pictures will be taken and shared here ;)

Best regards and keep safe

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,892 Posts
Hello again John :)

May I request you to please enlighten me on the "black labels" in the picture that you posted earlier?

Thank you in advance
IMG_20200818_161438035[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #631 (Edited)
I don't have black labels. That picture is of a bag of tie wrap that I got at Home Depot.

But white lettering on black labels or other color combinations are available

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
Wire harness is now complete. I can now move on to the next phase, which is re-arranging the computer mounts. Hopefully this wont be too bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
I learnt something new today... my Brother P-touch will take tape sizes 3.5mm - 18mm and Brother makes white shrink wrap tape, but not for my label model.

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
I learnt something new today... my Brother P-touch will take tape sizes 3.5mm - 18mm and Brother makes white shrink wrap tape, but not for my label model.
If I were to get a new one it would be this one. 7/8" Shrink Tube

·
Premium Member
1983 380 SL
3,187 Posts
If I were to get a new one it would be this one. 7/8" Shrink Tube

Nice... a bit pricey but nice. 7/8" would appear to be a bit overkill for the average Joe. One would assume that most of the time 12mm (around 1/2") would suffice for most labeling needs.

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Nice... a bit pricey but nice. 7/8" would appear to be a bit overkill for the average Joe. One would assume that most of the time 12mm (around 1/2") would suffice for most labeling needs.
The Bee3+ was replaced by the Epson 350. Looks like the same machine in a black case. A lot cheeper but the 1/2", which is really 11mm, max shrink tube size really puts a limit on what you can label unless you want to un-solder each pin of each connector to get a label over the pins. I had to make regular labels and wrap them around, which tend to fall off.
The equivalent of what I had is Epson LW-PX350 Label & Shrink Tube Printer

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
For the last two days I have been working on a mount for what is known as the Base module from the R129. Not sure what the Base module does but it talks to all the other computers used in the later model Mercedes. I completed a rough cut mock-up today. Now I can tweek everything and make a final design to have laser cut. This will make the Base module easier to remove for service. There are fuses on the Base module so easy access is good and hopefully I wont stress the rest of the wires getting at it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Fuse block plates came in today. These guys do a nice job. To make the minimum order I had to get two sets for $29.00. I only needed 1. There will be a final revision to this, so I will be sending it out again when I'm ready with a few more parts. The forward stiffener is going to need to be removed as they are causing chaffing issues with the heater hose. Or I may just bend it up. For the moment I have no means of bending the side stiffener without using a vice and hammer, so it is not shown bent in the pictures. I will also nee to radius the front right corner to give access to the shock nut.

I now have it installed into Ebola, My parts car. Tomorrow I will get the wife to close the hood with me in the engine compartment so I can check clearance with the hood springs.

There is also 1 more fuse block I need to install. It is a small 4 fuse block that uses standard ATC/ATO fuses to replace the ol ceramic ones used for the 560SL alarm system. I will also fuse the power windows and the OVP relay. That will cover all circuit 30 (live at all times) conductors running in the main wire harness.

TBC

Attachments

621 - 640 of 663 Posts